The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

delete old backup files

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by kanuk
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2608 times

kanuk

I use W7 backup routine weekly wth files going to ext hard drive. Over time this drive will fill up. How can I safely remove old backup files?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

kanuk,

COPIED FROM WIN7 HELP SCREEN
=======

Open the location where the backup is saved.

For example, if you backed up your files to an external hard drive labeled "E," connect the external hard drive to your computer, and then open drive E.

Backups are saved in this format: backup location\computer name\Backup Set year-month-day time. For example, if your computer name is Computer, your backup location is E, and you backed up on April 2, 2008 at 16:32:00, that backup would be located in E:\Computer\Backup Set 2008-02-04 163200.

Right-click the computer name of the backup that you want to delete, and then click Open.

Right-click the folder containing the backup you want to delete, and then click Delete.

COPIED FROM WIN7 HELP SCREEN
=================
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

This is interesting but my backups are lumped together within a month and I can't delete a individual backup done in that month. Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone please explain. And yeah, I am using Win 7 Backup.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

This is not going to help with your current situation.....but please don't use Windows Backup. It has not been trustworthy since it first came out.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Tom,
---
Only keep the most recent month of backups
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ckups.html
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,
---
Yeah and it can do an Image backup also but I can't find that it will compress it.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Rick. Even with Ghost, I don't don't compress my daily image backups.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,
---
I Don't Backup. Even Cut Off Restore Points.
Just Compress Image a Good Clean Perfect Install that's been Configured and Tweaked.
After that will, store new programs and data that I like plus daily copy the PST file to a store.
Can be up and running in less than 15 minutes and do Manual Updates at my leisure.
---
I DO NOT Recommend my way to others as have large machines with plenty of drives in Raid plus options AND FANS. (LOL) (LOL) ;)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

My way is 16 minutes, so you beat me :) (but no need for updates after :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,
---
I'll Re-Image Clean Perfect Install that's been Configured and Tweaked Plus Updated about every 3 months so it won't be out of date by that much.
---
The big problem is that I can't simulate a lot of the problems that the posters have so
have no answers in many cases. :( :(
---
Maybe it's just the way we configure and run our old machines. :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Very true. I am hoping to have a solution to that scenario soon :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.