SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Defective or poorly designed tabs? Is there a workaround?

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Emerogork
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 244 times

Emerogork

I can only imagine it is simply poor design and I have so learned to hate tabs.
They have opened a whole new world of verbal descriptors for me.
I have read that I can delete the tab "option" but wonder if there is a fix instead.

My problem is that I am forever clicking on the close window button only to lose out the windows that I really want to keep open. Then I have to remember what I had been using and go find it/them again. Most of the time I have to enter passwords again and then figure out the path that I had from there too.

I have activated the option of preventing the closing of multiple tabs that that alone is doesn't really help..
When these were cascades, I never recall having all these problems.

Instead of killing the use of tabs in the system,

Is there a popup that lets me know that I am about to close a window which required a password?
Is there an option that tells me that I am about to close the original window opened?
Is there some preventative that stops the closing if the back arrow (upper left) contains screens?
What else might I want to know about these evil things?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Windows 7 - Internet Explorer - "Always close all tabs" Warning - Turn On or Off If that is what you mean. It really is a matter of learning the new way of doing things. Simply learn to close tabs individually either by the x on the tab or by right clicking the tab for choices. Once you get used to it you will like it.

Posted 1 year ago

Emerogork

Not so fast there guy,...
There are two paths to previous work. The use of the back arrow and the use of the X. At least with the cascaded windows, I could move screens to see what is below. They are totally hidden when using back arrow to previous screens.

I really don't want to waste brain cells trying all these finger calisthenics just because some software designer could not come up with a user friendly or well tested method. My thought process and inventive drives, interrupted by these quirks, are more important than catering to MS....

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You're the first one with this problem I've seen...so maybe it's time to adapt.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.