The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Default Save Location

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by sacopaddler
  • Latest reply from Michael
  • Topic Viewed 1385 times

sacopaddler

I have an NT domain and would like to create a script that will define the default save location of all applilcations to a network share. Everywhere I have looked only talks about Tools->Options-> menus specific to one application. Is there a registry key or some environment variable that can be set to define the save location?

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

If you mean to redirect "My Documents" to a specific network location, you can try change the registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal to the location you want

If you want to automate this, you can export the keys from registry editor. Edit the .reg file, delete everything except the "personal" entry. Then double click the .reg to incorporate into the system's registry

Hope this help

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Although, and I may be wrong, if you want it for every user won't the key be the same, excpet HKLM?

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

I believe HKLM only controls the "public" or "shared" stuffs. Applications' default save folder usually don't go to these shared folders, they go to the "personal"

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Right. So perhaps it is. :P Report back with your findings please.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.