The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Default Programs

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rfb100
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 868 times

rfb100

I'm new to Windows 7 and here and this should be simple, but I can't find a way to add Adobe Reader (or anything else) to what is already present in Default Programs. Any guidance would be most welcome. rfb100

Posted 5 years ago

mfletch

Any help

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....by-default

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Your question is not clear to me? What are you trying to accomplish and what have you tried?

However, I'll assume you did one of these two.

Usually you would find a file you want to open, RMB and select with OPEN WITH and you'd see a list of programs. Don't see one you want to open with that icon/program, select BROWSE and locate the EXE you want and select that.

If you went to Start Orb and the DEFAULT PROGRAMS on the right side, the first entry, SET YOUR DEFAULT PROGRAMS, I think can only list programs inserted there by install or are already a default for some file types. The second entry is the one you want. Find the file extension and then set the program default for it.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

rfb100

Here is what I am trying to do. I get a number of PDF attachments to my emails. I am using Windows Live Mail, that MS in their wisdom, broke out of the basic Windows program as it has been previously, to this stand-alone app. Now, when I click on the PDF attachment , I get a message that says to go to Default Programs and make sure Adobe Reader is there. Well, it isn't there and I can't find any way to add it to the Default Programs list. In other words, how can I make PDF attachments readily available for opening? Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Try this instead,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/
Whilst you solve your problem.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Hmm, this is indeed a mystery. In "set default programs", the .pdf reader does not even show up for a setting. I use Foxit and it is not there either.
Until we found a solution I suggest you detach the documents from your mail and open them seperately.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Well, if you go the 'other way', set association for an extension, ASSOCIATE A FILETYPE OR PROTOCOL WITH A PROGRAM selection, and select .pdf, it will show what is associated? If not what you want, change it. You can also do this with Explorer, find a PDF file, RMB on it, select OPEN WITH, then browse, find the program you want and check ALWAYS USE.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.