The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Dedicating more memory to graphics card

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bigminisachin1231
  • Latest reply from bigminisachin1231
  • Topic Viewed 32701 times

bigminisachin1231

Hey, I have an nvidia geforece 7150LE with 128mb of dedicated memory...i heard that you can dedicate more memory to the card by going into BIOS, but my BIOS didn't have an option to do that (i was told to look for "UGA frame buffer size" or something like that). Anyone have any idea how to do this? I have an HP m8120n, if it helps determine what BIOS i'm running.

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Your display card has it's own dedicated memory, if you want add more then you'll need to upgrade the card

BIOS setting is for onboard graphics which is much slower -- and of course cheaper -- than the graphics card with dedicated ram

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

Oh...so to get this straight, on my old computer, which has Intel integrated graphics, I would be able to dedicate more memory through the BIOS, but not with a graphics card, right?

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Yes. That's right. But dedicating more ram won't give you any significant benefit

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Also if I understand right the reason is because the memory is the system ram being shared. So if you 512 MB of system ram and you dedicate 64 MB of ram for video the system can only use 448 MB for itself.
Normal graphics cards use their own memory which is not only more efficient it lets the system use all the system ram available.

Posted 6 years ago

bigminisachin1231

oh...thanks for the clear-up.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!