The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - dead Dell after drop?

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shebaben
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 418 times

shebaben

This morning my Dell Inspiron laptop slipped off my lap and fell about 18 inches onto the floor, landing on its right side. Now, I cannot turn it on. At first, when I tried to power it up, I got the "Windows did not shut down properly" notice. Then it quit. After numerous tries, it finally came on and connected to Firefox, but wouldn't go anywhere, then died again. Now, when I try to turn it on, all it will do is cycle through the "Keyboard status" llights on the upper right corner.Any suggestions short of buying a new computer????? (not a good option!!!!!!!) Thanks...PAT

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Take it completely apart. Remake all the connections.This includes everything, hard drive, optical drive, RAM, everything. You may get lucky.

Posted 1 year ago

darkwire

Lighthouse is correct, some components including cables (ribbon cables) might have disconnected after the issue. Btw, try removing and reconnecting the battery first before continuing. Best of luck.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Post the the Exact model number.

May be we can find a Dell Manual.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes, model number, and how old is it ?

Posted 1 year ago

shebaben

It is and Inspiron N 7110 and it is less than a year old. Removing the battery for an hour didn't work. I appreciate your help so far....but, another question: Could an ordinary old (???) grandmother take it all apart???? And reassemble it???
I've never even SEEN the inside of a laptop!!!!0

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

If it's less than a year old and there's no noticeable damage done you may be able to get it repaired under warranty. Worth a try! Just don't tell them you dropped it :)

If not below is link to the manual, Laptops can be a bit tricky to dismantle sometimes, just be very careful not to force anything!

http://support.dell.com/suppor...../sm_en.pdf

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I would certainly suggest the warranty option.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

shebaben

Thanks again to all of you...it is still under warranty, and I tried the Dell support site again. They were phenomenal...couldn't have asked for better. It took a while because we played telephone tag, but they were persistent, finally found me again, and fixed the problem (apparently it had nothing to do with my drop...) Thank you again.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@shebaben, Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the reply back.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!