How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

data transfer rate from SATA HDD in USB 2.0 docking station to USB 3.0 HDD

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1048 times

nharp0386
nharp0386

I have a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 SATA HDD inserted inside a USB 2.0 external enclosure. I want to copy some of the data on it to a USB 3.0 external HDD. As the drive won't mount in Windows, I'm having to use a Ubuntu 12.10 LiveDVD to do this.

According to the data sheet for the Momentus 7200.4, its speed is 3 Gb/s. However, I know it's going to be much lower than this when used with USB 2.0 instead of SATA. I realize it will be even lower when copying to another USB drive, and possibly lower once more as a result of the PC having to "consult" with the DVD.

When trying to copy data from the SATA HDD in the USB 2.0 docking station to the USB 3.0 external HDD inside Ubuntu using the LiveDVD's "Try Ubuntu" feature, the data rate starts out at around 600 kbps (IIRC) but quickly begins slowing down and converges to around either 90 kbps or 120 kbps (I've gotten both of these rates on different attempts that all ended up being interrupted).

Is this horrendous speed normal? If not, what kind of speed should I be experiencing?

How much faster could I expect the transfer rate to be if I used a USB 3.0 docking station or external enclosure instead of the USB 2.0 docking station that I have (it would then be copying from one USB 3.0 device to another USB 3.0 device)?

I realize it would be faster if I had the SATA drive inserted internally, but that's not an option for me.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Just one question, do you have USB 3.0 ports on your PC, if not, you won't get any increase in speed.

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

Yes, I have USB 3.0 ports.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I have the same USB 3.0 External Hard Drive to USB 3.0 ports and I get about the same transfer rates as you. I think that's about the average speed you can expect!

Here's some benchmarks for various drives

http://www.everythingusb.com/speed.html

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

@gedstar: I thought you were saying in your first post that I would see an increase in speed if I upgraded from my USB 2.0 docking station to a USB 3.0 docking station / external enclosure? Also, what exactly are you saying you have the same of in your second post? I have a SATA HDD inside a USB 2.0 docking station, and I'm copying from that to a USB 3.0 external HDD within the Ubuntu LiveDVD's "Try Ubuntu" feature. Are you copying to or from the USB 3.0 external HDD, and where are you copying from/to?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi nharp0386

Sorry I obviously didn't read your original post correctly. 90 kbps or 120 kbps is very slow, The transfer rates I get via USB 3.0 are between 60 and 90 MB/s sometimes higher depending on the data been transferred. I have a USB 3.0 External Hard Drive and I copy data from that to my second Hard Drive on my PC and vice-versa.
Not sure but maybe it's the fact that you are using Ubuntu LiveDVD's "Try Ubuntu" feature to transfer the data that's causing the slowness.
What speeds do you get if you transfer data from the internal hard drive on the PC to the USB 3.0 external HDD?

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

I figured that running Ubuntu off of the LiveDVD would slow down my transfer, but I wouldn't expect it to do so that substantially.

As for your question, I haven't tried that yet. The computer I'm using is brand new, and all my data (from my old, all-but-dead laptop) is on the drive that's inside the enclosure. There's hardly anything on my internal drive other than what came on it.

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

How much faster could I expect the transfer to be if installed Ubuntu and ran it from my HDD, rather than from the LiveDVD? How much faster could I expect it to be if I used a USB 3.0 docking station / external enclosure instead of my 2.0 one?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Make a double transfer. First from USB2 to the internal HDD and then from the internal HDD to USB3. That will probably be faster. The way you did it created a lot of contention on the USB ports.

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

That's a good idea, but I'd really rather get it directly on the USB HDD without having to go through my internal HDD. The docking station is powered by an AC adapter, so I know it's not taking too much power from the USB ports.

What kind of speed increase could I expect to see if I were to use a USB 3.0 docking station / external enclosure instead of the 2.0 docking station? Would the transfer likely be faster if I were to install Ubuntu and run it from my HDD, and if so, how much?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think we have done enough to help you. Now start using Google.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!