How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Data Recovery Firms Believe 30% of Barracuda Drives Are Failing

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from ColinAirlie
  • Topic Viewed 1669 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Information Provided with NO Comment or Opinion By Poster.
-----------
January 20, 2009 (Source - Computerworld) Seagate Technology LLC today is offering free data-recovery services for customers who purchased the company's Barracuda 7200.11 desktop hard drive through December 2008.
A firmware bug in those drives has produced a high number of failures.
--
According to users on Seagate's online support forum the drives tend to freeze for about 30 seconds during I/O transfers of streaming video or when reading or writing files at low speeds.
--
"We're offering free data recovery because the information on the drives is not deleted. It's just rendered inaccessible by this suspect firmware," said Seagate spokesman Michael Hall.
--
Owners of the Barracuda 7200.11 drive can contact Seagate through its support Web site. Seagate also offers support by telephone at 800-SEAGATE (732-4283). The company is offering data recovery services through its i365 data recovery subsidiary.
--
On Friday, Seagate issued a statement saying that a firmware bug has been causing drive failures or freezes affecting not only the Barracuda 7200.11, but also several other models manufactured through December 2008. Those include the DiamondMax 22, the Barracuda ES.2 SATA and the SV35.
--
The Barracuda 7200.11 is the eleventh generation of Seagate's flagship drive for desktop PCs and comes in capacities of 160GB to 1.5TB. Seagate manufactures hard disk drives in China, Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I have a comment: BACKUP YOUR DATA, PEOPLE!! As the former owner of an IBM Deskstar hard drive, I would advise anyone with one of these flawed Barracudas to backup their data immediately, if not sooner. The Deskstar that I had failed, as did many others, and they were nicknamed "Deathstar". This is not something that only happens to other people. With failure rates this high, it will happen to you!

Thanks to raphoenix for posting this warning. I predict that these Barracudas will also get a derogatory nickname soon. I propose "Errorcuda".

Posted 5 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Or how about "Barelycuda".

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Barracouldn't?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!