SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Damaged micro usb (soldered) on WD Elements SE 1TB External.

(30 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Vennsoh
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 13272 times

GroundHawk

Just as a heads up, I've dealt with these drives before. Older models generally have only 6 pins on the LED side of the drive. The pins are x2 GND, x1 +data, x1 -data, and x2 VCC +5. you can find these by using an ohm meter, don't forget to map the pins. This 12 pin unit ought to have the same, if not, similar configuration. First step is to buy a cheap usb cable to cut up, find one that is 22- 24 gauge wire . The next step would be to get a header or single heads to plug into the connectors, solder the wires to them and plug them in appropriately and you'll be back in business in no time. But if you are really daring you can attempt a reflow of the PCB. I'd recommend the my first suggestion though because you can destroy the pcb if you do the reflow wrong.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Something smells fishy.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Not now :)

GroundHawk, If you are going to use an OHM meter, then you don't know what you are talking about :)

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Cool

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

GS, and my last post edited.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Gotya :)

Posted 2 years ago

GroundHawk

using an ohm meter will give you a high load or open for those not linked directly and something minuscule for those pins corresponding to the pinot of the usb. I've been doing drive recovery for years now, I know what I am talking about. As well as that is what I had to do to find the proper pin relation when I first started with these monsters. And wallah, it turned on and was accessible via a custom USB cable. This is a lot safer than soldering on your board and risk screwing up the PCB. Spend a couple bucks on wires or go buy a new PCB for god knows how much.

Posted 2 years ago

rayrrod

Vennsoh. how did you remove the pcb board.
Do you have any vids or instructions
I too have a wdbabv0010bbk-00
Am not worried about the data.
I connect the micro usb cable and sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
I was able to copy all data to another drive.
Seems like the usb connector is not right. The cable moves sideways.
I figured I can solder a new micro usb port?
tia
ray

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

@ rayrrod

A Mod will most likely come and say "please start a new topic for your post". Just a heads up.

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

rayrrod. Owen is correct. Please start your own New Topic.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!