The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

D2D32 type mismatch - Part 3 of my problems :(

(29 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Aleeve
  • Latest reply from spiney
  • Topic Viewed 20981 times

Azuka

Hi guys, i prolly shoulda looked into having my acer aspire 5920 alot sooner than i have, i started out with the windows repair problem and constant crashes within minutes of starting up, then constant rebooting itself trying to start up, so i tried the factory restore and got the d2d32 type mismatch over and over, ive finally got hold of acer for a recovery disk which ive just received, and i keep on geting the same message and now my dvd drive aint pikin the disk up any more, could the dad32 problem be caused with me brakin the origionl monitor and replacing it with one from an old laptop evan tho there picked up as generic pnp monitors, any help with this would be great, check bk in a few.

Posted 4 years ago

Azuka

Still needing HELP! i can get to the acer erecovery managment and get to the notice to factory default from hd and cd, but still constantly geting the D2D32 type mismatch errors, can any one shed any light on what i can do to reboot my HD will i need a new 1?

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

This error often occurs if the recovery starts, but then glitches..... the pc now boots into the C partition, which doesn't any longer have a "runnable" programme ......

It is necessary to re-set the hidden (smallest) disk partition - containing the recovery system - as the boot patition, to start again. To do that, the easiest way is to run the Gparted utliity from a pre-made distro CD (or DVD)- this will work as long as your DVD drive is still intact - and the receovery programme should then run. Even if the hard disk has been corrupted - any you have to re-load the hidden partition from the recovery DVDs - this should still work, and you will still have to reset the boot partition - but you should be ok as long as the computer isn't faulty.

I'm well aware of how frustrating this problem is - a dead pc - but am on a library computer, running out of time! I'll go to an Internet cafe, and make a longer post ............

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

1. The infamous “type mismatch” error often appears, when attempting Acer recovery. “Victims” usually get little/no help from forums or Acer (this is probably the worst thing about Acers, otherwise very good!).

2. It’s a partitioning problem. Either there’s no partitions on the disk (ie a new one), or they’ve been disrupted or corrupted. Most commonly, recovery is user interrupted - or sometimes glitches - then you’re left with a computer that boots into the C partition, containing no valid software .........

3. Disk or DVD recovery are effectively the same. For DVD, the recovery partition is copied to disk, which then does disk recovery ..........

4. If you need the recovery DVDs, many different Acer model files are online for free download. BURN AS ISO (see below!). No copyright problem, if you have that particular computer, you’re entitled to the official recovery software (remember, while the computer was working, you SHOULD HAVE MADE THE RECOVERY DVDS!).

5. If the computer does not have a hardware fault, it should be possible to reload to factory default with disk partitioning software (and recovery DVD, if disk “hidden” recovery partition is corrupt). Gparted is best known, so we use that (there’s others) .....

6. You will need a working computer with internet access and CD/DVD burner, and a new (blank) cd or dvd (gparted will fit on a single cd).

7. Download the latest gparted LIVE (distro) iso file from Internet. Best go directly to Gparted website, and you’ll probably get re-directed to cnet (or similar) ..... although there’s different versions online many places ........

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

(if you have difficulties downloading – maybe you’re on dialup – then either install Firefox, or use Free Download Manager !)

8. With the downloaded gparted file (unzipped, if you downloaded the zipped version!), you must now burn this to the blank cd (or dvd) AS AN ISO IMAGE FILE (“just copying it across in the usual way” won’t work!). All the usual burning software has “burn as ISO image”, so you’ll have to locate that option on the computer you’re using .........

(If you can’t find this option – or there’s no burning software – then download burn4free from the official site! This is the best freeware burner, but is treated as “malware” by most protection software. Ignore that, install it anyway! In fact, it installs an annoying popup advertising toolbar – that’s why it’s malware – which you can uninstall at any time! The actual programme works separately, and you can also uninstall that any time, too!)

9. You should now have a gparted disk (remember, it was previously blank, since the “iso burned” gparted file must be the first one on the disk!).

10. Pop this disk into your damaged Acer DVD drive. If you burned correctly, the gparted software should start to run ..........

11. Now, EXACTLY what options appear on screen depends on which version you have! However, all you want to do is:

a) Confirm the 3 partitions - C:, D:, and (much smaller) “hidden recovery” partitions still exist - that’s the main thing!. If you’ve not deliberately changed the disk partitioning yourself, then they certainly should.

b) Change the boot partition, from C, back to hidden (the smallest one, whatever it’s called!).

(changing the boot partition will not damage the disk. However, DO NOT OTHERWISE ALTER THE PARTITIONING, IN ANY WAY. TAKE CARE WHEN SELECTING OPTIONS AND PRESSING KEYS or you might really need the recovery DVDs ..........)

12. Now, you can again try hidden partition recovery (via computer ROM), or just stick in the recovery DVD and re-power ......... better luck this time! Note that, most current Acers have a 2 DVD recovery set. These will do some funny things, including occasionally appearing to hang, and telling you to swap disks several times. Just follow these instructions. After all, they are intact (you DID “verify” when you burned them? Of course you did!).

13. When recovery “ends”, the computer will seem to hang for several minutes before re-starting “factory default” Windows setup. Don’t panic, that’s normal.

(ADDED) Recovery completely overwrites the C partition. Anything that was previously on it will be lost, all you get is the factory default setup .....

However, the D partition in not affected, so any data previously stored on that should still be intact. Worth remembering !

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

...... if the partitions were damaged - or you have a new disk - then, other forums claim you need to re-partition to EXACTLY the sizes expected, or DVD media recovery won't work! I just don't know. Acer themselves suggest this isn't critical, and seem to use approx 8G for the hidden partition, then divide the remaining space equally between the C and D partitions .........

(obviously, the hidden recovery partition needs to big enough for the (compressed) files to fit into it ....... 8G should be enough!)

....... for a disk where the partitions were damaged, you can TRY testdisk (included on the Gparted CD you burned), it MIGHT work!

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

Ooops, apology! I ran gparted on my Acer last night - as a check - and have got a few things wrong (non-critical, won't cause damage, but will prevent the recovery!).

1. When you put the gparted disk in DVD drive, it won't auto run (since, this requires a working operating system on the Acer, exactly what we ain't got!).

Instead, a power-up DVD boot is required, but by default this is not usually set in the ROM. To enable it, do the following .......

a) Power up Acer keeping F2 key pressed, to get ROM setup.

b) In ROM setup, set the "F12 boot menu" to "ENABLED".

c) "EXIT SAVING CHANGES" (if you don't, DVD power-up boot will not be enabled!).

d) Power-up Acer again, this time keeping F12 pressed. You should get the F12 boot selections (hopefully). Put the gparted disk in DVD drive, shut door, and select boot from DVD ..............

(if you get "stuck" inside gparted, from now on you can always re-power with F12 pressed, and select boot from DVD to re-start it!).

2. When gparted starts, it auto detects your computer hardware, and auto configures. Just keep hitting "return" to select the default options, until you get the main screen. Yeah, right! I kept hitting return, and ended up with a command prompt.

In fact, gparted DOES NOT auto detect the video hardware! You have to tell it. That's the first "screen" that comes up, and just select the "old config sys x86" option, which sets up default Windows graphics ("VESA" also works). THEN .....keep hitting return ( ....... and you should get the main screen).

3. To change the boot partition flag, this option is under "partition/ set flags". As previously said, changing the boot partition is safe, BUT DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER CHANGES!

4. I previously said the hidden parition - containing the factory default setup software - is "approx" 8G. In fact, it's 11.7G on my Windows VIsta Acer (and it's probably bigger on Win7 ones!).

5. If you recover using (the correct model number) recovery DVD fileset off the Internet - and not a recovery DVD "set" you burned yourself - hopefully, that should work (if the file isn't corrupt), but you might have trouble updating Windows directly from Microsoft ("genuine copy validation"!). You might need to enter the product code key for your particular machine, which should be on the Windows label. If that's not there, then instead you can update using the self-installing service packs, which works, but is a little longwinded .........

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

AAAARRRRRGH, THIS ALL SOUNDS HORRIBLY COMPLICATED, BUT IT REALLY ISN'T!

ALL WE'RE DOING, IS, RE-SETTING THE BOOTABLE PARTITION ON THE HARD DRIVE, SO THAT ACER RECOVERY WILL RUN, WITHOUT STOPPING AT A "TYPE MISMATCH".

THAT'S IT!

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

...... a few more things ........

1. "Type mismatch" is obviously an error message from the Acer Recovery software, , and I don't know exactly what this refers to! However, what makes Recovery stop is usually a partitioning error .......

2. In case you have to partition a disk from scratch - for a new one - here's what Acer say about partition sizes:

"The 3rd partition* is approximately 3-5 GB for Windows XP and approximately 9-10 GB for Windows Vista operating systems".

http://support.acer.com/acerpa.....aq44.shtml

Whether the size needs to be EXACTLY RIGHT, for Recovery to work, i don't know, but it seems unlikely!

Posted 4 years ago

spiney

INFORMATION SUMMARY .........

I'm sorry if my very long and complicated posts are confunsing. To summarise ......

1. Nearly always, the "type mismatch" error message occurs because Recovery was started - either from the disk hidden partition (Alt F10), or from the recovery DVDs - and is then interrupted! Usually, the user panics and stops it, but other things can also happen ...... whatever, this then leaves the Acer in a state where it boots into the C partition, which now has invalid software .......

The solution is to re-set the disk partition table to again boot from the hidden partition - and not the main "C:" partition. That's the whole point of running gparted (or another similar disk partitioning utility).

This solution also applies to recovery from DVDs. Since, all they do is copy files across into the hidden partition, after that it's the same as Alt-F10 .........

2. If the partitions appear to have been damaged, you can TRY using "testdisk" - on the gparted disk - to get them back.

3. If you have to create partitions - for example, fitting a new disk after a head-crash - then, try following the advice from Acer, as above. (Most computer makers')Recovery Software "looks at" the hardware of the machine you're running it on - and will refuse to install if it's the wrong model - but, i don't think the exact size of the disk partitions is CRITICAL - Acer seem to think not - however, you need the recovery partition to be "big enough" for all the recovery (Alt-F10) files to fit into it .........

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!