(Solved) - Customize folder icons on a portable drive

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by JayDivider
  • Latest reply from JayDivider
  • Topic Viewed 3427 times

JayDivider
JayDivider

Hello.
My question is how can I customize the folder icons on a portable drive like a flash drive? I've learned how to change the drive icon itself, but I want to change the folder icons within the drive directory so that the set icons appear in whatever PC it's connected to.

I can customize a folder icon by right clicking the folder and selecting properties\customize\change icon... But this customization only appears on the original system (computer A). When I connect the drive to computer B, the folder icons revert back to the default folder icons. Obviously, computer A retains the setting information, but how do I make the drive retain the settings information so that it displays on computer B like computer A?

Thanks for the help!

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi JayDivider,

What you need is to create a desktop.ini file on the flashdrive which points to the icon and the iconfile itself.

For example. Call the icon Flash.ico and then the desktop.ini file should have this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=Flash.ico
IconIndex=0

Posted 2 years ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

Thanks SarahJames!
Do yo happen to know how to code the desktop.ini file so that it looks for the icon within the drive itself? (Being that depending on the system, the drive letter could change on different PC's).

I followed another HTG tutorial to change the default icons on my C drive, here's an example:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
IconResource=C:\Users\John\Documents\Files\Icons\Windows 7 Blue\ICO\Folders\Desktop.ico

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

You only need the name of the icon if it is in the same folder as the desktop.ini file.
So the code I gave you is all you need if you place the icon in the root of the flashdrive (drive letter doesn't matter).

I used this a while back on an USB drive I took with me to work, because it would get a different driveletter all the time and this way it was easy to recognize :)

Posted 2 years ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

That did the trick! Thanks Sarah!
I really appreciate the help!

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!