The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

cronic unwanted restart/reboot

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Rue
  • Latest reply from Rue
  • Topic Viewed 1037 times

Rue

Okay here it is - a friend of mine has a pc running windows 98 (I think/thats what he told me at least), it was a build your own done by a friend of his. Yes, I know thats where the problem(s) start. Well a few weeks ago, it started "rebooting" about every half hour or so - unwanted restarts. I'm new to this so I'm asking questions. Something tells me its either the OS or a driver that has an issue. This mod was build only for gaming. I'd like to avoid having to re-install Windows on it because I don't think he has the disks any more and it might be too old for Windows XP. Any suggestions on where to begin and/or fixes are greatly appreciated. I'll have him make sure all the cables are firmly pulled in and in the right places. Thank you so very much.

Rue

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor
JadeEmperor

hi, i would start first with malwares. does your friend have any anti malware installed? if not, go to online scanners like Kaspersky.

then we'll take it from there.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Rue,
Welcome to The HTG Forums.
What makes you think it is a software issue instead of PSU, Heat Build-up or faulty memory module problem ????
Obviously the hardware components are old.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

Rue

Thank you for the suggestions. 1) malware: I'll have to look in to that as well - it slipped my mind. 2) Software VS. Hardware, yes the stuff is kinda old. Anything is possible at this point. We've fixed a few smaller problems by updating or re-installing hardware drivers. If, by mistake we added or removed something, we should not have, I'm not sure. Like I said I'm new to this stuff. I'll get some canned air, clean the dust bunnies out and see if dust and heat are an issue. If the menory module is faulty, well I don't know what to do. Thanks again. Rue

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!