How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Critical Process Died

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dego23
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 6911 times

dego23

OK here's what's going on.

I just got a new Dell Inspiron 660 with Windows 8. It was great. Windows 8 loaded, and I got to play around for about 4 hours on it. Shut it down, went to bed. Came home from work yesterday, first thing I noticed was it was scanning and repairing the disk, gets to 41% and then the blue screen shows up saying about an error has occurred and it was collecting data and then it was going to reboot. I noticed then at the bottom the dreaded CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. Now all it does is reboot, scan disk, blue screen, rinse and repeat.

WTF!!!! DAMN YOU WINDOWS 8!!!

So what can I do? Is there a safe mode? Would that help? Am I going to have to do a factory reload on the sucker?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

If it's new and under warranty, I'd be inclined to take it back to place of purchase.

Posted 1 year ago

dego23

I bought it online through Dell.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

After 4 hours a new system failing is not good so I would be looking at Dell for a REPLACEMENT as opposed to a repair.
The Dell support is pretty good (in UK).
Am assuming the same in the US.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Dell offers support and any new computer comes with 1 year I think?

Getting into Safe Mode with W8 is not 'easy' as it used to be. MS changed all that saying claiming it booted too fast and you'd have a hard time get F8 to work AND Tablets don't have that key. So they have a NEW way which requires you to be able to boot into NORMAL Windows first (which you can't do). However, look HERE and you'll see how you can do it IF you have the CD.

============
If your Windows crashes and cannot start, you have to create a bootable USB or CD/DVD and use that to enter Safe Mode.
============

The above sentence has THIS LINK which is what you'll need to do.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.