The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - critical error popup

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Azarias
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2307 times

Azarias

I keep getting this popup every time I connect to the internet it says STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. Windows has found 55 Critical System Errors.

I have tried Spybot search and destroy with the latest updates and AVG Home edition and Avast antivirus programs and none of these can get rid of this annoying popup. Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this?

Window XP Pro, Ver 2002, Intel Pen 111 Processor, 605 MHZ, 256 MB Ram

Thanks ahead of time

Azarias

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Welcome Azarias. Have a look at this
http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_021.html

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Just one additional note: At the end of the above website they recommend Spyware Doctor. I would recommend not to use it. I tried it a couple of times and the result was a real mess. I would rather use one of the prime security suites and the firewall (Vista or of the security suite).

Posted 5 years ago

k9
k9

I wrote this for another thread but it might be relevant here as well. Anyways, here is what you need to do. Download (http://www.download.com/Trend-.....27353.html) and run HijackThis. Use HijackThis to scan your PC and it will generate a log file. Paste the log file here so that we can have a look at it. And, don't try to fix anything on your own by click "fix selected items" option. Just scan your computer and paste the log here. This software is very useful and at the same time very dangerous as well.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

K9, did you ever remove one of those Spam malware buggers with the link you provided. If yes, that would be great because we have had several of those cases recently and did not really know what to recommend. The usual tools did not work.
Btw: Welcome to the Forum. You seem to know your stuff and I am sure will be very helpful with the problems of our "Customers".

Posted 5 years ago

Azarias

Thank you very kindly Lighthouse

It worked I have added How-To Geek Forums !

Azarias

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Azarias, what did you do that worked? I'll bet that you disabled the Messenger service which will make the pop-ups go away. But, did you scan your system for viruses and spyware? Just because the message no longer appears that doesn't mean the spyware is gone.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!