The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - creepy Ghost, part 2

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Noel8
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 519 times

Noel8

I got my recovery Ghost disc to work in Dos, and almost got my image file installed, until the last minute a couple of snags entered the picture which prevented me to finalize my image installation. in the process of making my first restore of windows,...all goes well, after choosing First track operations. I get a message that doing this it would overwrite my existing data. It highly recommends to save copy of the first track before continuing. What are they talking about? I assumed by restoring windows, it would over write anything that is on my hd..ie..previous window. Thinking it may be referring to MBR, i made a backup copy of the MBR, and then preceded, until another snag comes up..message "Error EO240044: Sector provider load file failed...and they say Ghost is great...all these snags, and no explanation on how to fix it, except hopefully here.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

How many Partitions do have on the HDD ??

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

There is 2 partitions...

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

If there are two partitions, then each is a separate process. Hopefully, you ghosted both -- if not, then only the partition you have ghosted before can be recovered. If you haven't already, start the process again, from the beginning, and just follow directions. Yes, recovery means setting the system / partition back -- completely -- to the state it was in at whichever date you ghosted. If you have ghosted more than once, then you'll be given a choice of backup sets to select from; otherwise, just one.

But if you still get error message(s) -- then it may mean a recovery failure. Come back here and let us know by all means -- but while I have had multiple successes recovering via MS Ghost, I've had a failure too. Wasn't fun having to buy recovery disks from the manufacturer, and then having to manually reinstall everything... But it happens...

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

Thanks to all... mission accomplished... I had only one partition when I made the image...but it has 2 now...

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Great! If your ghost image was made pretty early on... once you've updated everything "just the way you like it" -- make another ghost image. And if you use both partitions, ghost both of them -- unless one of the partitions is used purely for data -- in which case, making regular data backup's (not ghost) would be easier.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.