The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Creating your own bios?

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ClownJuic3
  • Latest reply from ClownJuic3
  • Topic Viewed 6461 times

ClownJuic3

I was recently thinking about getting a laptop but with a laptop comes some security concerns for me. Now I know that the best way to keep a laptop safe is to always have it within my grasp, or I could buy a lock, and even setup a bios password and of course user passwords. My concern is that to me that dosnt seem safe enough and I was wanting to create a sort of low grade free version of a gps tracker. For instance LogMeIn when computer is online will show that it is online. Is there a way that I could create my own bios or boot instructions w/ PW to auto install and preform a couple of set instructions on my computer if it was to say be reformatted lets say setup username A, with PW X, install LogMeIn, and hide LogMeIn icon (I can Google how to hide the icon) would be what I need to start up or run if computer is reformatted? I have goggled this and theres something called lo jack for laptops that describes this type of idea but in a more professional way. This is my question if you have any ideas or comments I would love to hear from you.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

BIOS is stored on a chip on the motherboard. You would have to know machine code plus have the manufacturing specs for every chip and circuit on the board, so in a nutshell, no, you can not create your own BIOS. If your laptop is reformatted, it will be done so via a boot disk, as a result, there would be no code execution from the hard drive. You may want to look into something like True Crypt that has the ability to create encrypted volumes/drives/folders etc. Don't know much about the LogMeIn, but I would assume that you could add it to the start-up menu for all users.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

ClownJuic3

Chris is Correct !!

I researched your question also concerning tracing PCs with MAC numbers, IP addresses, secret programs, GPS technology, etc.
========================
ALL solutions are "iffy" at worst.
========================
My best advice is to keep (ALL) personal data and important data (OFF) the the Laptop machine (Completely).
========================
You can easily replace the Laptop if stolen but your Personal Identity and Personal Data are much more Important and Valuable so protect yourself first.
========================
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

As raphoenix mentioned (sorry, had to get back to work lol), any 'tracking' based on software can get you no further than the ISP that your laptop is logged into. From there you would have to contact the authorities in that jurisdiction who would then need to secure a warrant to serve the ISP for the location of IP. At that time, the ISP would need to see if the IP had been released and reassigned in the intervening time. If it had, you are out of luck, if not, they would have the last known location. Of course if they were using a free public wi-fi hotspot....well I think you may be getting the idea. The odds of the authorities actually acting upon any information you provide are pretty slim unless they already have someone working on a computer theft ring.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

What is actually your concern. That the laptop gets stolen from you in an airport, or that someone breaks into your house or that you loose it? There are devices that will ring a bell in your pocket if the matching transmitter device (which you could place into the laptop case) is moved more than so many feet away from you. People install those on cell phones, because they keep forgetting them. There may be other solutions for different scenarios. It would be interesting to know your possible scenarios.

Posted 6 years ago

ClownJuic3

I didn't think you could create your own bios since I couldn't really find out much about it on Google but the situation would be something like I have music editing software on my laptop with a ton of songs I also do banking and such but not to much on the banking, and I was just worried that someone could take the laptop or something if I was out somewhere playing music or something like that for other people or if I was at someones house and used the bathroom and there friends friend took it or something I would want to track it.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712

ClownJuic3,

I don't know much about tracking laptops other than using lo jack. An alternative solution for you would be to encrypt the laptop. If it gets stolen or taken than the person would have to know your password. there are many ways of encrypting your laptop. one of my faves. is to use My Secure Doc Personal plus edition from http://www.mysecuredoc.com/plus_ed.asp. There are also "hardware devices" (USB keys) that you can use to encrypt a laptop. In that case you would need the USB key and a password to use the laptop. You can also use windows file encryption but I have never used that so I don't quite know how it works. Hope this helps.

Dan

Posted 6 years ago

ClownJuic3

thank you so much everyone you have been very helpful in all of the questions I have asked here I love these forums

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.