The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

creating recovery discs for xp media center

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lilghost053
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 2370 times

lilghost053

I have gotten to the part in creationg my rocovery discs in xp media center edition, tried to perform the recovery operation using the discs I created (one if a dvd and 2 if a cd) but the recovery keeps asking me for additional discs that were created when I have no other discs that were created using the recovery disc creation feature !!! Why is the system not allowing me to create the entire recovery disc(s) when I'm in the create recovery disc feature ?

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

If you have a usb drive you could simply install this ( http://www.filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/ ), App and Create a backup image of your OS using this Tutorial ( http://kb.macrium.com/Knowledg.....50074.aspx ).

If you choose this route then download and burn the following files to a DVD. This is the Rescue disk image.
WinPE_32bit DiskImage: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/327277....._32bit.iso

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Use this quide to make those recovery disks... http://www.ehow.com/how_630919.....enter.html

BTW, if you don't have the recovery disks for your PC, you might be able to order them here....
http://www.restoredisks.com/findrestoredisk.aspx

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Thank you for your help and I will try to get these done to fix my problem. Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

You're welcome. Please report back on your progress.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

I am creating the back up disc now using the Macrium Reflect program you suggested. All is going well now. Hopefully this will give me a total system recovery disc to use. I am going to try and do a system recovery after completing the disc. Now to do the recovery operation in the xp media edition when the program asks for the recovery discs to be inserted do I just use these discs that I have just created ?

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

It appears that I may have confused you and for that I'm sorry.
If your system is running smoothly then you don't really need those 2 recovery disks you were originally trying to create.
All you need is Macrium Reflect and a external usb drive plus the rescue disk.
The Macrium Rescue disk you created can be used to make a backup image of your currently installed Windows XP Media Center.
You just place the rescue disk in your Optical Drive (dvd drive) and restart your PC and follow the instructions.
To create/save a backup image, you must save it to a external USB drive.
Re-read the tutorials I provided links to and familiarize yourself with the processes.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Ok, Jim, thank you I will go back and retry this. I ended up making a 4 disc set with the Macrium Reflect program. I have Mac Reflect installed on the computer but erased it off the usb mass storage device so I will recopy it back on there. The only thing I did not create was a rescue disc, must have missed this step somewhere. Thanks for your help and patience.

Jim (also)

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Jim, it might be easier to create that Rescue disk using this App. ( http://www.imgburn.com/index.p.....n_complete )
Install and run it then browse to the location where you saved the WinPE_v5.1.5396_32bit.iso, select that file and allow ImgBurn the burn it to a blank dvd-R.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Jim, I had burned a copy of the WinPE rescue disc and didn't even know it. The reason I want to do a system recovery on the other computer is that it runs so slow and probably has errors and or virus's on it so I want to do a total OS reinstal to see if I could bring it's performance back to like new again.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Oh I see. Then by all means, create those recovery disks and restore that PC with them.

Good luck,
Jim

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Once again thank you for all your help. I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help. Happy Holiday, and enjoy !!!!! Hopefully I'll talk with you again soon.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Well Jim, once again I have failed to recover my computer to its former condition using the discs that I created. When I went to do the system restore and use the discs I created (the 4 dvd's) created by the Macrium Reflect the program says these are not the discs called for to continue this operation. I think I might just give up and let someone else try and do a system recovery for me. Uggggggg I'm frustrated.

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

I have created a set of 4 back up system/files dvd's for my emachines W3115 and now I would like to do a system recovery. I have tried several times to accomplish this task but so far with no luck. The discs I created from the computer using the recovery program didn't work as the recovery operation kept asking for additional discs (dvd's) of which I only had one or after several attempts to recover I kept getting error codes when installing the files !! What can I do to complete the recovery process ?

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Hi Jim..... Do you have any Windows XP Media Center installation CD's?
To restore your computer to Factory Condition you need those CD's.

Read this page, especially ( Things You'll Need ): http://www.ehow.com/how_585455.....nsole.html

Jim (Hermitt)

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

Hello Jim, No unfortunately I don't have those original discs. I think what I'm going to do is change over to XP Pro, which I can get a copy of with SP/3 and the drivers I need to do a complete instal. I want to thank you again for your tech advice and trying to help me with this project as I have called it. As soon as I get those disc's and do the instal I'll drop you a line and let you know how i made out. Thanks again.

Jim C

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Hi Jim. You are more than welcome. Sorry we couldn't complete your project successfully though.
Switching to XP Pro sounds like a good idea.
Yes, I would appreciate it if you would report back and let me know how it goes.

Good luck,
Jim :)

Posted 1 year ago

lilghost053

I will be installing XP on an old computer that currently runs XP Medai edition, I am changing over to XP Pro, I will have the XP disc, SP3 disc, and the disc with the drivers on it. Is the instalation sequence 1. XP Pro, 2. SP3, and finally the drivers ? Want to make sure I do it in order !!

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Do it in this order:
1. Install XP Pro
2. Install chipset drivers (if they are on the drivers disk).
3. Install all other drivers.
4. Install SP3.
5. Go online and allow windows update to do the rest.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!