The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Creating a Win 7 start button

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jmkloz
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 2032 times

jmkloz

So I was wondering if there is any way that I could hide my taskbar but then just have a shortcut or icon of some kinda that would launch the start menu. Thanks in advance!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

You can "Auto hide" the taskbar (in properties). It will reappear when you go with the cursor to the bottom of the screen. And the start menu you can also call with the WIN button on your keyboard.

Posted 4 years ago

jmkloz

Yeah I know but I would like to know if i could create some sort of alternate start menu button that is on my desktop... just wanted to know because I was thinking of using rainmeter to customize my desktop but would like to still have access to a button... I don't think it is possible but you never know so i figured i'd ask

there is something else i would like to try... i wanted to move my task bar to the side of my screen, but when i do the start button is at the top of the screen, which is rather annoying. so is there a way that i could put the taskbar on the side but invert it so the start button is on the bottom?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

why not get rid of the taskbar and toolbar altogether and just use the windows button on your keyboard :)

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

mickeyblue, Isn't that a little drastic. It will be hard to know what's going on without the toolbar - I think.

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

but if you autohide the taskbar and hit the windows key the entire taskbar comes up with the start menu. be interesting if someone comes up with something. i know theres an article here on how to create restart, shutdown, etc., desktop icons. but could those icons be put into an icon holding the desktop apps folders with the desktop icon hidden from the desktop view? kind of a fences effect...

anyone understand that?

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

this probably isn't what you wanted but i tried this:
install Fences

then follow this Guide to created a restart, shutdown, lock, etc icon on the desk top. drag all the icons into a fence, autohide the taskbar then double click the desktop to hide fences and icon. double click again to show.

to remove the icon arrows for a clean look install FxVisor32
and to clean it up more follow this Thread

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!