The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Creating a password in Excel

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Nickelannie01
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1329 times

Nickelannie01

I am looking to create passwords using some excel functions. I have a listing of close to 2000 employees that I need to do this for. The way the I would like to see it is for example is Natalie Mitchel and my employee number is 123456 my password should be lie56Mi (last three letters of my name, last 2 number of my employee number and the first 2 letters of my last name {first letter capitalized}).

Can you think of an easy-ish way for me to do this?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Nickelannie01,
Welcome to The HTG Forums.
(NOT) a good security solution.
Search google for FREE password generators.
Have employee memorize password as terms of employment.
Change (ALL) passwords (FREQUENTLY).

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

For this:
Name Number Password
Natalie Mitchel 123456 hel56Mi
Kristen You 123457 You57Yo
Ana Ng 123458 xNg58Ng

Use this formula:
=IF(LEN(A2)-SEARCH(" ",A2)=2,"x" &(RIGHT(A2,2)&RIGHT(B2,2)&MID(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2)+1,2)),RIGHT(A2,3)&RIGHT(B2,2)&MID(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2)+1,2))

Where A2 is the Name field and B2 is the Employee Number field. I assume that these will be initial log-in passwords that expire on initial log-in (at least I hope so).

If the Last Name is a separate field, replace the MID(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2)+1,2)) with LEFT(A2,2)).

Note, this works on the basis of the first space " " found in the text. If Kristen You was entered as Kristen Y. You then you would get xY.57Y. as the password.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Chris,

That is the correct formula BUT does one really want to have passwords generated by a known Excel formula using known employee numbers and known employee names ??
Glad you included the EXPIRE statement.
I think some sudo-random generation process would possibly be better in a work environment.
Just my thoughts having worked in the large manufacturing plants of yesteryear where no one could keep a secret for long - especially in union shops. EDIT: Union Shops are great as they keep wages UP !!

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

While that may be true, all I can say is that initial passwords are typically something along the lines of LastNameTodaysDate. The one in this post probably one of the most 'secure' initial password generators that I've ever seen (as sad as that is). Since it's an initial password, you have to change it before it even logs you into the network, if it doesn't work, you instantly know it has been compromised, and a quick call to IT will get you a new password and a fairly easy track for IT to follow to the source of the breach.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Chris,

What you say is true after you explained (initial) but I knew what you meant by reading your Good first post with the EXPIRE statement you included.

Also liked your reply concerning the eSata Topic.
I didn't go into transfer speed in my post but that was / is what eSata is all about.

I figure us old timers just know this stuff so I get (lazy) and don't reply in detail in many postings among ourselves.

Ole Bobjam can compose an internal post which can take 15 minutes for me to read but it's good (LOL) (LOL).
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.