How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Create password reset disk missing from Windows 8

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rackbob
  • Latest reply from rackbob
  • Topic Viewed 1398 times

rackbob
rackbob

Under User Accounts in control panel, the link for creating a password reset disk, is not there. When searching for it through the charm bar, I get a result. But when I click on it, all I get is the error tone and nothing else. Any ideas??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you have created your user as/from a Microsoft live account you will have to reset the password at https://account.live.com/password/reset If you have setup a non Microsoft live account you should have "Create password reset disk" listed on the left hand side of the Control Panel -> User accounts window.

Posted 1 year ago

rackbob
rackbob

I don't need to reset my password. I was just doing some research when I stumbled upon "create a password reset disk". I did a dual boot with a clean install of Windows 8 along side of my Windows 7. I used my Hotmail account when I set up Windows 8. When I went to create the password reset disk for one of those "just in case" situations, the link in User Accounts to create it, wasn't there. So I'm wondering if you use a Microsoft live account, does that link get hidden or removed. Contacted Microsoft about it but the lady sounded completely lost on the subject. But she did mention using the link mentioned above by Xhi. This post I made is made purely out of curiosity. I've more or less have become the small town computer go to guy where I live and I'm trying to expand my Windows knowledge.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you used a Hotmail account, now called a Windows live account, then, as I said, the link to make a password reset disk will not be there and you have to use the link above to reset the password. In short, you can not use a password reset disk to reset a Hotmail/WindowsLive account password.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

rackbob
rackbob

Xhi, Thank you very much. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!