CreataCard 3

(74 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by horselady
  • Latest reply from wcrabbit
  • Topic Viewed 27696 times

jd2066
jd2066

Ok, then the folder it's installed to is C:\Program Files\CreataCard
Try coping that folder to a disk or something and putting it on the Windows Vista machine in C:\Program Files (x86).
Then on the Windows Vista machine where open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\CreataCard\Gold and double click the file CACard32.exe.
If that works and opens the program on the Windows Vista machine then shortcuts to it can be made in the Start Menu.

Posted 5 years ago

horselady

jd2066--Sorry for the delay-thought you had given up on me I didn't realize their was a page 2.
Had a friend helping me yesterday and we tried to install using the CreataCard32.exe and at first we got the message that it was missing a file called simple.dll--I found the file in Windows\system 32 and copied it and installed it in both Windows\system32 and the Creatacard file in my Vista computer. They we had to repeat the process for pgp.dll, bn.dll & keydb.dll-then after all that was installed we tried again to double click the file and got the message "Error during program initialization. Please re-install CreataCard"
Do you still want me to uninstall CreataCard in Vista and re-install? Creatacard is not listed in the program files in Vista so would have to delete by right clicking on Creatacard in program files and selecting delete.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There two types of program install and uninstall processes.
Automatic Installation - This you run the setup.exe file, it copies all the needed files for the program and creates an entry in Programs and Features to remove the program.
Manual Installation - This is where you copy the needed files yourself and no entry is made in Programs and Features. You would have to remove those yourself to uninstall it. Which you don't need to do right now.

That message means the program hasn't been compleatly installed. Normally you could just use the automatic installation but it isn't supported on Vista 64-bit edition due the installer being 16-bit (A bad choise for a 32-bit program but that is what they did).
There are some other files or registry entries the program needs. There are some programs you can run on the Windows XP install to help figure out what those are.
I'll look for one and post a link to it.

Edit (11 hours ago): I have looked and haven't yet found an easy program to do that. I'll look again later and see if I find one.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. I'm not exactly sure what to say now.
There are programs that can record what an install does on one computer and make an installer to put it on another computer. The new installer being 32-bit should work. I just can't find a free repackager program at the moment.
You maybe able to find the needed files and registry entries by using Process Monitor on the Windows XP computer but it's not that easy to figure out.

Posted 5 years ago

horselady

Well I probably won't be able to figure it out anyway. I'm not that experienced with that type of stuff. Now have another problem--I started using another similar calendar program on Vista and up till this a.m. my only problem with it was finding where it backed up its info. as it does not back up back into the program. This morning the calendar came up empty--I lost my address book and all the entries I had made in the calendar. Haven't a clue where to start looking for my lost information. Any thoughts on this??? I just might resort to a calendar hanging on the wall and forget about all these fancy computer calendars.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

What is the other program you tried?

Posted 5 years ago

horselady

Hallmark Card Studio 2003 and the calendar part of it is called the Event Planner--very similar to CreataCard

SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH IT WORKS OR APPEARS TO WORK WITH VISTA THAT IS TILL TODAY WHEN IT LOST ITS INFORMATION.

A few days ago when I was looking for a way to back up this Event Planner program I copied all the program files for the card file and event planner to a c d (this is how I had to back up CreataCard in XP) I then installed this program in my computer with the Windows Xp. It installed fine but did not have any of the personal information that I had put in the program in Vista. This information is stored somewhere else. Their is an import and export option with this program however, they are grayed out.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Try right clicking on the program shortcut and clicking "Run as Administrator".

Posted 5 years ago

horselady

It just opens the calendar with no personal input.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That seems odd.
Unfortunately I don't know how to fix that and I'm going on a little vacation for about 2 days so I can't help you during that time.
Maybe someone else on these forums will know how to fix that.

Posted 5 years ago

BobH

Horselady wrote: "It just opens the calendar with no personal input."

I am using CreataCard 3 with Vista. It is easy with the 32 bit version, harder with the 64 bit version, especially if you are doing a semi-manual install. The reason you cannot see your personal input (or copy all the data you have entered from before) is because of a security feature in Vista that won't let anyone but an administrator write to C:/Program Files/CreataCard/Data. Before installing, make yourself a CreataCard data folder in your own user documents area. Then on install, specify that folder as your data location. After the install and reboot, move your old FMNOT32.DAT and FMNOT32.BAK to your own user data folder. Vista security will be happy with you there. But....

If you can't get setup to run at all because the 64-bit Vista, that is beyond the scope of what I can suggest here because it will require a manual edit of the registry to point the software to the correct folder. Let me know if you have any success -- or not.....

BobH

Posted 5 years ago

horselady

Hi Bob H. I tried what you suggested--no luck but found out some info. It would appear that I have a 16 bit CreataCard application. Any ideas on that?

Posted 5 years ago

ddcoop

I just installed Hallmark Comedy Card Studio Deluxe 2 by Sierra on my Vista 64-bit machine. It works with all the saved files from Creatacard. If the Calendar and Address Book data file is fmnot32.dat, rename it to planr32.dat and then the Event Calendar will work as well. It must have come out of the same factory as it works exactly like Creatacard.

Posted 5 years ago

horselady

Hello: ddcoop How do you install it in the Hallmark Event Calendar? Also in my Hallmark Planner file I have a plan32.bak file and a plan 32 Video CD Movie file which I strongly believe is the plan32.dat file but I can't open it.

Posted 5 years ago

ddcoop

Find the fmnot32.dat file in Creatacard on your old machine and copy it to a disk or flash drive. Copy it to your new computer in the Hallmark folder on your drive. Rename the file PLANR32.DAT. When you open the event calendar, it should show all of your old dates and addresses. It worked for me. Good luck, hope that helps.

Posted 5 years ago

bcope01

I have the installation disk for American Greetings Creatacard Gold 3. When I insert the CD in my computer running the Windows Vista 64-bit operating system and select Autorun, I get the following error message:

---------------------------
Unsupported 16-Bit Application
The program or feature "\??\E:\setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Is there anyway to work around the 16-bit installer INSTALLSHIELD? I understand the application itself is 32-bit and should run fine on my Vista 64-bit system once it is installed. If there is no work-around for the CD installer, then perhaps there is some way to migrate/transfer it from my old computer running Windows XP (32-bit)?

Any suggestions? Much appreciated, Bill

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I'm not sure of a way to transfer the current install on the Windows XP install but you maybe able to transfer a new install with the following way:
1. On the Windows XP 32-bit computer:
A. Uninstall the current Creatacard program.
B. Install a setup repackager program like AppDeploy Repackager.
C. Use the setup repackager to record a new install of Creatacard and create a new 32-bit setup file.
D. Transfer the new 32-bit setup file to the Windows Vista 64-bit computer.
2. On the Windows Vista 64-bit computer:
A Run the transfered 32-bit setup file.

Posted 5 years ago

bcope01

jd2066: Thanks, I give that a try as soon as I can, and report back with the results.

Posted 5 years ago

bcope01

OK, did not work. Used AppDeploy Repackager on my 32-bit XP computer. Created the Microsoft installation file (.msi). Tried to run the file on my Windows 64-bit system. During the installation got the following message window: "Could not write value ProgramCount to key \S-1-5-21-2490487155-1978222294-34668545-103\SessionInformation." Across the bottom of the window there were three buttons: Cancel, Retry, and Ignore. Retry and Ignore did nothing when selected, Cancel cancelled the install. Don't know where to go from here. Ugh.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It sounds like the repackager got more registry keys then it should have.
Try this:
Download the program InstEd at http://www.instedit.com/
Run the program and open the msi file.
On the left scroll down and click the Registry table.
On the right scroll down and right click on the key "S-1-5-21-2490487155-1978222294-34668545-103\SessionInformation" and click delete row.
Click Yes.
Click File and Save As.
Save to a new msi file and see if it works now.

If that doesn't work then you can email me (email address is on my web site that is listed in my profile) the MSI file and I'll see if I can get it to work.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!