(Solved) - CPU keeps turning OFF ;(

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from tech27
  • Topic Viewed 4630 times

tech27
tech27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SnZy2t6KRs

Wazzup everyone, so this pc is from my friend. He said the problem is that there's no display so I then clean up the RAM and it booted fine and ok, but after booting up to windows using it for just a few seconds it will turn off automatically, then I tried to swap my working Power Supply on this computer but still this CPU is always turning off. I really checked inside the case if there's really something wrong or blocking some stuffs, but there's none. So guys can you lend me some help ? I need your suggestions and recommendations if what causes this problem and how to solve/fix this ???

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

tech27,

first check the power management it may be set to power down after so many minutes. If that's not it i would go under the hood and look for a loose wire from the power button to the motherboard and if there's no fan on the cpu it may be one of those things that it is over heating. just check out what i have mention above and if there is anymore problems post back.

John

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

Hmmm... when turning the cpu ON the cpu heatsink/fan spins as normal ans what do you mean by 'first check the power management' is that on the BIOS settings ?

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

You might also want to check for viruses/malwares outside of Windows such as a rescue cd (Kaspersky Internet Security, for example). I've seen symptoms like this cause by a shutdown script that autoruns during startup. Running from a rescue cd also adds to the diagnosis of the problem -such as faulty hardware, overheating, etc.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

By the way this PC comes without an Optical drive, so I use my own optical drive to this pc and tried to insert a rescue disk on it, it booted up and read the disk but suddenly it turned off directly :( I'm very confuse why is this happening no clues about this problem, because its my first time to encounter this kind of problem. Will it because of the motherboard or what?

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

By the way when I go to BIOS the cpu doesn't turn off at all or I dunno, this is kinda weird ;(

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

This sounds like an overheating problem to me. I would replace the CPU fan and heat sink if it were I. They are pretty cheap. Although the fan may be rotating it may not be spinning at a high enough rate of speed to do proper cooling.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

@Xhi

Ok, I'll buy one and then I will just bump up if that will solve the problem. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

off the wall but................ check the solder joints on the caps (this happened to me a year ago) mine was cracked thus shutting down the sys. its a long shot but ya never know

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

@bubbatie1

'solder joints on the caps' by the way where is that located ???

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Go to BIOS > Power menu > Hardware Monitor - what is the CPU temperature? If it is overheating maybe it needs a fresh thermal paste (old one had dried up). If it is normal, the shutting down maybe caused by some bad capacitors, or capacitor solder joints as bubbatie1 pointed out. Can you see any bulging/leaking capacitors on the motherboard? Likewise, try a known good memory stick.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

@G41M

CPU Temp: 83 degrees Celsius
M/B Temp: 40 degrees Celsius
CPU fan speed: 2721 RPM

Are those results NORMAL ???

By, the way I just remove my old Heat sin/CPU fan on my old cpu and this CPU turns on and it solve the 'sudden turn-off' problem, but the cpu temp seems to be so hot? I just wanna ask if HOW do I re-apply the thermal paste on the processor or in the heat sink/cpu fan ???

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

A recent project pic; between the CPU and the fan assembly. 83 is quite high.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

Is that ok, to use an alcohol to wipe out the old thermal paste???

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Yes it is. I also use a Stanley blade (carefully) first to take off the old paste, clean up with alcohol. It is important for the 2 surfaces to be perfectly clean, no nibs, to perfectly marry up.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

ok, hmmm.. is it necessary to remove the processor on the motherboard when cleaning the thermal compound ?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I would not remove the processor unless you have done this before. The most important is the melding of the fan assembly to the CPU.
My pic shows the processor still in situ.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

Ok, I'll gonna buy thermal past tomorrow and do this ;>

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

by the way, should I spread the thermal compound after applying it ?? or should I just leave the 'pea sized' thermal paste and let the heat sink melt it???

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I spread evenly on both surfaces ensuring, when the clamp is engaged, the paste is complete over both surfaces. Don't be afraid of the excess, you can take that away before it sets using a cotton bud should you feel the need.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!