SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

CPU heat (recently installed new processor)

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Zuelajindi
  • Latest reply from Zuelajindi
  • Topic Viewed 534 times

Zuelajindi

I just recently installed an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 onto my machine, and according to RealTemp, while idling, there was a max temp read at 51 degrees C. I opened the side panel up and saw both PSU and CPU fans running. Upon installation, I did not apply any thermal compound to the CPU (some was already applied to heatsink as you know).

What should I do? Should I obtain thermal compound for it to be safe? I think my old processor would idle between 30-40 degrees C.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

That looks normal. Intel processors can handle A LOT more heat than that.

Out-of-the-box thermal paste on intel heatsink is enough, unless you plan on overclocking. If you plan on OCing you'd want a (much) better heatsink/fan (which usually don't come with any thermal paste so you'd have to buy a good quality tube).

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

No overclocking (also motherboard BIOS is locked, thanks to ASUS OEM boards).

I also noticed while gaming there has been an evident 60 degree C max.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

TJMax is 100 C for that CPU.

As long as the CPU remains at around 90 C or below, the CPU will not start throttling so you're good to go even though the machine has limited Bios settings.

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

All right then. I was also hoping I got the HSF on right as well, hoping the mounts are all even like they should be. I didn't want to force anything and risk cracking the mobo.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

That Intel Foxconn medal CPU clamp plus AL heat sink with plastic twist pins is a bit scary for sure. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

Yes, yes it is :)

Bur the temperatures are not getting scarily high, so that's good. Is this all right then?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.