How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

"CPU Fan Error" on boot, but fan is running

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by sadieb
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 42156 times

sadieb

Hey anyone who can help,
I recently put together my first computer mostly on my own (A tech-savvy friend came over to make sure everything was plugged in right). Every time I boot up the computer, I see the error message "CPU Fan Error", but when I look at the fan, it's most definitely spinning away. Certain programs (mostly large games like Diablo 3 and Dragon Age) will crash the program shortly after starting up, if not crashing the entire computer, and many smaller programs will freeze or close on their own, which I have been told may be a sign of overheating. I've tried restarting the computer a number of times, uninstalling the games, plugging the fan into different ports on the motherboard (in case I had it wrong), and even bought a new fan, and I still keep getting this message. I've had this new computer for around a week now and it has been nothing but trouble. All I want is for it to work.

Can someone please help me?

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Welcome to HTG sadieb,

Try downloading "SpeedFan" to see what your computers temperature is at.
The way to find it is to click configure once installed. Temps will then be given.

Post back what the temp is usually around (ex: if it goes from like 18 to 20 to 19 to 20, just say like 20).

Posted 2 years ago

sadieb

According to the BIOS menu when I booted up, the CPU was sitting at around 34. As of right now, it's around 39-40. I also keep getting error messages saying that "windows explorer is not responding" every few seconds, at which point my desktop, start menu, and toolbar all reset, until finally they decide to just close instead of restarting (All that appears on my desktop is the background. No icons, no toolbar, no start menu)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Your fan may be running, but not at full speed which it may require. Are you absolutely sure that the CPU fan is plugged into the receptacle on the motherboard that is marked CPU Fan? Double check.

The resetting of your desktop is due to Explorer.exe crashing. Not sure if the two events are related.

If this is a purchased computer, rather than a build, I would take advantage of any warranties that may apply very soon. Even with a build I might take advantage of any motherboard warranties.

Posted 2 years ago

Cameochi

Good Morning,

The same thing happened to me. It turned out that one of the wires to the CPU fan was broken at the connection to the fan. The fan was running but the motherboard did not recognize it. There was no visible problem until I actually touched the wires. Then the white wire fell out of the fan housing. Fortunately, I had a backup so was back up and running a few minutes later. I agree with Xhi - the Explorer.exe crash is most likely unrelated to the CPU fan error.

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Your computer doesn't appear to be overheating, that's what the temp should be around under normal load. Try what "Cameochi" said, the wires could be the issue.

Posted 2 years ago

sadieb

Just an update, I checked the plug, and it is indeed plugged into the CPU Fan Receptacle. The wires all seem to be connected properly. Also, I know you have all said that overheating probably isn't the issue, but is it normal for the CPU to be starting out at 43*C (As of my most recent boot up), and slowly rising (up to 46*C in the 3 minutes since I booted it up)?

In addition, is there anything that can be done short of taking advantage of the warranties to prevent Explorer.exe from crashing? I would prefer to not have to wait for the parts to be reshipped and reassembled. If not, I understand and will do what I must, just hoping for a quicker alternative.

Thanks again for all your help, posters!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

sadieb,

Is the CPU Heatsink/Fan vendor stock or a Cooler ??

If a Cooler, probably fan is running pretty slow as your Temps are low.

Need to set Bios to IGNORE.

Also Ensure Bios is latest revision.

Windows Crashing sounds like a Software Issue.

Would be helpful to post machine specs, etc..

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

royabriant

You could replace the fan if it has you worried.
But that may not be your problem at first.
I would hit the bios and check your fan header settings.
It could be too low to start the fan (though it shouldn't)
Or it might just be a build up of dust that is stopping the fan from starting.
Also check for any bios updates which may address the fan's operation.
Here are some more suggestions:

Edit: Self-promotion not allowed. -- GMod

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

This topic is about a month old and the OP doesn't seem to have returned for quite some time so this may be of no help but..... it seems to me the problems are more software than hardware. I'd try a Pendrive Linux distribution booted from USB and just use the system to see if problems still exist.

Posted 2 years ago

RRRoman

I had the simular problem with my newly built PC, the fan was working properly but I've got fan error when starting computer. It turned out that motherboard had support for several fans, and the fan wasn't connected as the main, but as one of the secondary. So check the manual and see to that you've connected your fan as the main cpu fan.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Royabriant ,

Why do you keep spamming/self promoting if you want to advertise just ask the Geek.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!