The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Cpu Fan Error

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by evenyatar
  • Latest reply from ronniesonora
  • Topic Viewed 349 times

evenyatar

I am getting a CPU fan error. I was using my computer when it suddenly shut down. When I tried to restart it, I noticed my CPU temp monitor show a temp of 60'. I turned my computer off immediately. I unplugged everything and looked inside. I noticed a lot of build up on the fan vent, so I used compressed air to clean it out. Before hooking it all back up, I plugged in the power and turned it on and the fan was working. I put panel back on and hooked everything back up. I started my computer and got the same CPU fan error. I watched as my CPU temp started to rise from 32' to 41' where the computer then just shut down again. What could be wrong?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It may be that the heat sink is not seated snuggly upon the CPU.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Leave the panel off so you can watch and see if it stops. Often wires are moved stopping the fan from operating.

Moving this to Geek Stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

About a year ago I had a Dell that two of the post on the cpu fan broke and let it raise up on one side. Super glued them back and still using it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It would seem that the message he is getting refers to the fan not operating ("CPU fan error"), not that the CPU is overheating due to heat sink problems.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Put a drop of 3 in 1 light oil in the fan.

It might be that it is pulling a bit more current because the sleeve bearing is dry.

Common issue.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

They said in the first post the fan was working.

Posted 1 year ago

evenyatar

Ok, I have an update on my problem. I made a mistake about the "cpu fan". I was looking at the wrong fan. When I took a closer look at my mother board I actually saw what looks like a cooling plate that is over the cpu. I unscrewed this cover and on the inside is a copper plate that pressed against the cpu. Unfortunately I cannot find the owner's manual to verify this. From this plate two insulated tubes connect to the eshaust fan at the back of the computer. Am I correct in thinking this is a cooling plate and if so, how can I determine if it is working properly?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Sounds like a cpu liquid water cooler. Does is look something like one of these http://www.newegg.com/Water-Li.....ory/ID-575

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!