The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - CPU at a constant 100%

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by loltacos
  • Latest reply from loltacos
  • Topic Viewed 1883 times

loltacos

i'm running a brand new alienware dual core laptop with windows 7 home 7600.
It's been running great until today (feb 8th) i leave my laptop on and this morning it was running the usual.
After work i noticed on a few of my gadgets that my two processors are running at 100%.
Obviously everything is extremely slow.
I've been playing with msconfig and starting and shutting down processes and services and it seems nothing is working, i've checked to see what services are taking up the most usuage and it seems to be only showing my current process being google chrome, i have NOTHING running right now.

I've searched online and tried all of the quirks and solutions i've read, i've restored and even restored a full win7 backup i have on my external harddrive but i have no idea what is going on, it seems there was a critical update around noon today but i attempted to restore prior to it and still nothing.

Please help, i really need it windows 7 is still brand new to me, i've been an XP user for years.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Can you open Task manager to see what processes may be running that are taking all the CPU? With Win 7, ctr+alt+del brings a screen, the bottom selection is 'Start Task Manager'. Let us know what you find.

Posted 4 years ago

matteotom
matteotom

Try:
press ctrl+alt+delete
click "start task manager"
go to the processes tab
click "show processes from all users" (on the bottom)
click the top of the CPU column to sort by what processes are using the most CPU
google what that process is and/or post it here

Posted 4 years ago

loltacos

there are a few svchost.eve is taking up 30 to 40 and octsSvc.exe *32 taking up at most 25.
System Idle pops up with 50 too.

I'm gooogling right now but obviously things are a little slow, thank you guys so much for your reply it's really helping me out.

Posted 4 years ago

LukeTurnbull
LukeTurnbull

system idle should be taking up the most of your CPU power,
this article might help about the SVC host issues :-

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-running/

EDIT* the closest thing to what your problem looks like is a data leak, you may want to google search that.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

loltacos,
If nothing was running, System Idle would be 99%. It's the opposite of CPU usage for all other processes.
What yours shows that without running anything on purpose, stuff is running, taking up to 65% CPU for no reason. svchosts aren't bad in themselves, but they can be used by virus, trojan or worm infections to do no good. Close all programs (Chrome, etc) and see if it settles down. If not, you may need a virus cleaning, like Malwarebytes to scan & clean.
When you left it on unattended, was a firewall in place?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

On Windows 7, there are some things to help you besides the Task Manager. They would be the PERFORMANCE MONITOR and RESOURCE MONITOR. The PERFORMANCE MONITOR will take some setup to get the data you are probably looking for, but the RESOURCE MONITOR can be a BIG help here. One of the columns is CPU, and you'll see a number corresponding to the CPU being used. Pick the ones that are the 100% usage and you'll see a lot of data about that, especially in the tabs for DISK and CPU.

Also, Sysinternal has some tools that will also help you identify the culprits, they are PROCESS EXPLORER and PROCESS MONITOR. These are fairly straight forward and can provide a ton of information.

First thing I would suspect however is the OS itself doing the search indexing though. Shouldn't give you any performance hits though?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

loltacos

I've used msconfig to have pretty much a clean boot with only graphics card services in use, no startup services or processes so on a clean boot both cores are still being used at 100%
I've got windows firewall, peerguardian, and spyware doctor from Google always running, so yes i did have some running, i just downloaded AVG and im attempting a virus scan.
On the resource monitor perfmon.exe runs the highest at CPU 12, and a few svchost.exe's are running high, are they supposed to only be at 00?

i'll report back and continue the next suggestion if i don't catch anything virus or malware-wise. thanks for you help.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

Dear loltacos, welcome to HTG.

The CPU usage to 100% is quite natural when it is kept turned on for hours. It can be brought back to normal state by just shutting down(not hibernate) your laptop for an hour or more and then restarting it again.

Regards,
Nikhil.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Nikhil. Wherever did you come up with that idea ?

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

@LH
I do it for myself many a times since I've to keep my laptop turned on for all night long, due to downloading only. This fixes it every time, no matter how.
Do you have any doubts??

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

loltacos,
---
Since you have Factory Restored the system AND the computer is NEW,
call [Alienware Support ] and obtain an RMA Number.
---
It is foolish to try to repair a NEW computer on a help forum when the computer
is under manufacturer's warranty.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

The usage of a particular CPU is up to the application and the OS. Different OS tasks can be assigned to individual CPU's, and applications can do that as well. To load both of your processors at 100% means you are CPU bound, hard to imagine with any recent processor for an extended period of time? On my Intel i7-920 these, 1 and 2, are the most frequently used, but I can only recall a few instances where even 1 CPU hits 100%? Right now, as I type this I'm running Pinnacle's Studio 12 creating (authoring) a 2 hour DVD, the program is working its way through the captured AVI file and producing and writing DVD tracks. My CPU total is fluctuating between 10 and 14% overall, and CPU's 1, 3, 6, and 8 appear active with the first 3 around 30 to 35% and the last 10 to 20%. The other CPU's have hardly no activity. RAM (I have 8GB's) is around 35% used.

Since you are on W7, go HERE and pick up the first gadget, it will show the CPU's percentage all the time. It doesn't seem to place any load on my system?

At this point, I'd suggest disabling ALL A/V's and firewalls. Worried about being attacked, pull the Internet connection. I'd suspect one of these is either scanning or polling something rapidly.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

loltacos

well guys, i finally decided to call alienware after restoring to factory settings and the problem still being there. they fixed the problem in the most simplest way. They had me unplug the laptop take the battery out and hold the power button down for 15 seconds, apparently this releases all the power in the laptop. When i started it up it ran perfectly fine.

i had no idea it was a power problem, it must've been an alienware quirk.
thank you guys for your help and time and sorry for wasting it.

Take care

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!