The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

could not perform the operation because the default mail clienct is not poperly

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nighthawk
  • Latest reply from oldgeezer
  • Topic Viewed 342 times

nighthawk

2 months ago we had 2 XP SP3 computers. now we have 2 new computers with windows 7 64 bit. One computer (a laptop) has WORD and EXCEL 2007 and the other (a desktop) has WORD and EXCEL 2007and OFFICE OUTLOOK 2003.
Creating and sending mail in both computers everything works fine, EXCEPT, if you are on a web page and go to click on a person's name and need the dekstop to automatically come up with that person's email in the "Send to" box in Outlook, you get instead a message reading - "could not perform the operation because the default mail clienct is not poperly"

Some comuter service companies suggest I go to START, DEFAULT PROGRAMS, SET YOUR DEFAULT PROGRAMS. There is not email program listed!

Another company suggested that I look at Windows updates, but I did not see any updates on this email issue.

The web seems to be full of Window 7 users with this BIG!! problem.

Someone I know you works for a computer systems company says he has no problems as he has WINDOWS OFFICE 2010 including OUTLOOK. Microsoft Canada said they could fix it online for $100. I said no as I could buy a package for about $350? Microsoft says OFFICE 2013 is coming out in Feb 2013.

Another thing is on the desltop in outlook 2003 I have to 'each time' accept the licence and then 'refresh' to get my mail.

What to you think would be the solution and/or do I wait for OFFICE2013 and will 2013 solve the problems?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

If you are used to outlook then, yes ideally you need to install it, but you don't need to wait until 2013 version comes out, and you would be better off simply installing a free email client. For simplicity's sake I would suggest downloading Windows Live Mail which is the updated version of Outlook Express, it comes as part of the Windows Live package - don't bother installing all of it unless you want the video, blogging etc. software. It's available from here: Windows Live Essentials

Alternatively you could install a different email client like Thunderbird.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.