How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Core i7 System Build

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 7899 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Not an endorsement of any product(s) but for information purposes only.
http://www.corsair.com/systemb.....&sid=1

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

very good reading, i think they should have used a nicer case though

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Good article! Although it's biased in favor of memory performance, for obvious reasons, it's still very informative about how i7 works. I like the QPI diagram and the benchmark numbers are certainly impressive. I'm amazed that they are already overclocking this brand new processor and chipset, but I guess that is the way of it now. My favorite line is this one:

"The real cool part is that it's got a triple-channel onboard memory controller."

Of course that's cool for Corsair -- they will be selling 50% more memory to most anyone doing an i7 build!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z,
Not sure the Corsair 1000 Watt PSU will fit in new Antec (Frame) Enclosure, may have to use Antec 1000 Watt PSU.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Nice article raphoenix. Good to see they were using the M/B i have ordered, lol. Now if that had been an OCZ article they would be using 2000Mhz memory and a SSD HD instead of the Raptor making the benchmarks just that little bit faster ;)

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

WOW. look at those Benchmarking figures.
I dont get what the PSU is. ive heard it alot recnelty and i have looked at wikepidia but i dont quite understand it all. is anyone able to post a link to a good read or able to explain it in simple terms?
Thank you raphoenix for this great read.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Will post more on the new generation of hardware.
I guess this will start folks pre-planning their Builds more seriously as I have advocated over the past months.
Also, folks purchasing new Laptops for the Holiday Season are in for a big shock shortly afterward.
It is the Intel and OEM business cycle.
Have endured it personally for decades now.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rick, what is the big shock for laptop buyers? Looking at the Intel Processor Roadmap, I don't see a Nehalem-based mobile processor until Clarksfield some time in the 2nd half of 2009.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,
Just as I got good confirmation this past summer that the i7 was going to be released last month (remember)?, sources are telling me the mobile version schedule is being crashed also. No tentative release date given but years of Intel history plus their current competitive and financial situation would tend to back up the sources.
Intel must keep demand up in this harsh economic environment and a quicker Mobile release is one sure fire way of doing it. Maybe instead of using the word "shortly" in my previous post, I should have said something like "as soon as the Fabs can be retooled and the OEM suppliers switch over, etc.; not withstanding current inventory level depletion....".
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rick, that would be quite a shock, alright. At least everyone knew that Core i7 was coming even if it arrived before it was expected to.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW
Let me put it this way.
Sure glad I didn't personally make a new Build or purchase any new equipment in the past quarter.

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@Scott and Raphoenix, well if i go by what i have heard and read here in Germany, Laptops should be on sale as early as February with the new processors. Here´s a good article from Tom´s Hardware explaining the architecture and overclocking abilites of the i7. I received my Asus M/B today and the mounting for the processor is huge compared to what I´ve seen to date!! Kinda sucks though just staring at the thing and having to wait for everything else!!
Also there are rumours here that DDR3 should be dropping drastically mid-to-end of January, although I´m just guessing this will only effect the slower sticks. Unless as Scott stated "Of course that's cool for Corsair -- they will be selling 50% more memory to most anyone doing an i7 build! " it has something to do with the triple channel. The more they sell the cheaper it´ll get.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@madmacs,

Your Mobile i7 release time frame falls in line with my post above.
Also have good reason to believe that Build component part prices will drop sharply after the Holiday Season.
In fact, I get notice of almost daily price reductions from Newegg in US now.
EVERYONE should read the link you posted above.
Hang in There My Friend,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@drifta, a PSU is a power supply unit. Basically it powers everything that is inside of your computer, from your processor to your graphics card. Here´s an extensive and well written article explaining how a PSU works. Although it´s a bit older nothing much has really changed apart fom 2 or 3 way SLI/Crossfire PSU´s having enough power on the 12v rails to be stable running 2 or 3 graphics card and another major thing to look for when buying one is the so called 80 plus certifed PSU´s.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

thanx madmac
Great article. read it once but i think im going to need to read it again to get a better understnading of it.
rather detailed and well compiled.
cheers

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hey, gang, I have been continuing to investigate the release data of a Nehalem-based mobile processor. I can't find any information on the Internet about such a device being available in February. Everything that I see says that the first Nehalem-based mobile processors will be Clarksfield and Auburndale which are due in Q309 or 2H09. I can't find any information about an early release, even a rumor. Am I missing something? Is this information not circulating publicly, only through a secret insider's network?

In fact, a recent news item is that Intel has denied rumors that the Calpella series (Nehalem-based Centrino mobiles) will be delayed until 2010:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20081128PB203.html

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Old friends and acquaintances who work for the OEMs and such. The usual way Builders know what's going down. No secret society by any means. Software is much harder to get info about. Don't know why.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Scott, I get two hardware magazins (for gaming/overclocking hardware) delivered every month. In this months issues both of them stated that "Calpella" (this wasn´t written, just the mobile i7 technology) should be introduced to laptops at the end of February beginning of March. I can´t say for certain but the articles written are usually correct, Matt.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

I thought I´d help raphoenix out with the i7/X58 hardware needed and post information about different DDR3 ram types. Since there is no way around getting some of these sticks if you are planning an i7/X58 build. So here´s some pretty good info on how DDR3 performs with different latencies from different brands.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Matt,

Two more GREAT posts that ALL should read.
Now we see how FAST the Memory Fabs and Memory Retailers are responding to i7 technology and beginning to get Some Good Competitive Specs for DDR3.
I just started the Topic HOWEVER the Thread Discussion is for the Benefit of EVERYONE !!!!
Keep Your Great Postings and Links to Articles Coming !!!!
Best Regards to You and Yours,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!