How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Copy OS to new HD?

(12 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mickeyblue
  • Latest reply from mickeyblue
  • Topic Viewed 1681 times

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

Hey all, i purchased a new WD 500gb Caviar blue today, because im not happy with the 500gb caviar green i have, as you will see by some test results i ran earlier, the caviar blue is much faster than the caviar green, now comes the problem.
My OS and all my programs are on the caviar green, i want to put it on the caviar blue, can i just copy everything over? surely it cant be as easy as that, usually i would do a clean install and format the HD but i dont want to lose anything from the caviar green. whats the best way to go about it? test results for interest..............(if you want a WD HD DONT GET A Caviar Green in my personal opinion, unless you dont want performance)
WD 500GB Caviar blue.........

WD 500GB Caviar green

Quite a difference indeed :)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

No you can't just copy everything over. You can image everything to an external drive, switch the drive, then image back (Norton Ghost, Marcrium, etc).

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

mickeyblue, if you purchases a retail Wd blue drive you should have gotten a Cd that allows you to clone your drives. If you purchased an OEM blue drive then suggest what LH said. I just did one last week. 1) made an image of old "C" drive & stored on the 2nd partition of same hdd. 2) installed new hdd. Since I use Norton Ghost I used the recovery Cd to restore the image from the old hdd "D" drive partition to my new blue hdd. When completed I removed the old hdd and booted on the new hdd. The WD Lifeguard Cd is good if you got one.

g-x
edit: I had to go into BIOS and change boot sequence since the BIOS still thinks my old hdd was the primary boot hdd. If not you might get a "ERROR LOADING O/S" message while trying to boot

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

thanks for the reply guys, i thought as much was just asking opinions. ill try macrium out, as ive never used these kind of back-up tools,so ive read the geeks tutorial on how to make a back-up, basically its 1. make the back-up(image) on a HD 2. copy the image to the partition ove created on my new HD. 3. delete old HD partition? im not 100% clear on the imaging back thing

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

How much free space do you have on "the green" ?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

261GB free of 465Gb, when i do an image does it take everything? drivers, save games THE WORKS?
i first want to get a clear understanding of how its done before i try it and most likely mess it up ;)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

It takes absolutely everything. To do it g-x's way, you will have to create a partition on the green, to store the image. I have not yet tried Macrium, so don't know how much compression it uses. But first see how big a partition you can make.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Mickeyblue!!!
Watch it when using Macrium Reflect - if you want to restore the image you made to another partition or you gave the partition another name, it will NOT restore the image (or force you to restore it to the original partition). I have a perfect image of 7 that I can't restore because of that.
So take care. I hope Ghost is easier in that regard.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

SarahJames, your right about destination locations. I just let the image app give the new hdd a temporary default name. Don't partition your new drive just let the image software find a new hdd and restore to that drive. When your green image is restored to the blue hdd then you can give blue hdd a name, create partitions, etc. This should work. HTH.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

hey, thanks all for your suggestions and advice, im still skeptical and weary, so ive come up with a plan, im going to install a 64-bit Win7 on a partition i made on the "blue" (as i wanted to try 64-bit out anyway)
then ill try marcrium and make an image of the 64-bit and try to image back, it will be a tester OS if that makes sense.
will post back with results. thanks for all the input i learnt allot :)

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

You can Download a free copy of Acronis from WD website. It's free for use on WD drives.
Here is a link:
http://support.wdc.com/product.....dc_lang=en

Using Acronis to make an image of your existing drive and then put that image on the Blue drive is a piece of cake. If you're not sure just google "Acronis tutorial"

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

thanks for that, i actually have acronis i forgot i did, nice to knwo its free with WD HD's. nice

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!