The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Copy large files shuts wireless

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by enonod
  • Latest reply from enonod
  • Topic Viewed 2723 times

enonod

Windows 7 Ult 64bit. Upgraded from Vista 64bit. Belkin G F5D7050 USB wireless adaptor.
I have been trying to copy large system image files to USB Book drive. The system seems to stop copying and turns off the internet connection on the Belkin. A restart is necessary.
History, the same thing happened (except the wireless) on a XP Laptop but DID NOT happen on the Vista before the upgrade. The driver for the belkin has caused problems since the upgrade, but I overcame that by re-install.
Small files 50 Mb copy OK.
I have tried the tip for Auto Tuning but to no avail.
Any ideas please? Other than go back to Vista!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Hi enonod. Try this,
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Thank you LH. Are you affiliated?
This may or may not solve the problem, is the program a response to a well known and incurable problem, if so it may be worth considering, if not then I would prefer to see if a solution arrives.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi enonod and welcome. Without wanting to sound disrespectful, Teracopy is a well known program for faster copying of large files. It may or may not be the solution to your troubles but without you even trying it, we shall never know!! Please give it a go and if your problem still persists then write back and we shall have a look what else it could be. Thx, Matt

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Thank you. I meant no disrespect. Looking at the web site gave the impression it was just a useful program.

I tried the free version. It started copying and looked fine. Then a message in its window saying file could not be found (source) after copyin about 6Mb of 32GB. The light had gone off on the WD Book drive. Windows did not crash. The wireless network had been disconnected and the light went off on the Belkin. re-installing the driver for Belkin did not work. I uninstalled it and re-installed the Vista-64 drivers from the disk and it again worked. I had to re-start the computer to get the drive back.
So that really means no change.
I do not understand, because it was all perfect in Vista, so it is not (?) a hardware problem. I tried copying with the Belkin uninstalled to no avail.

Any further help appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

The trouble is that your adapter doesn´t seem to be compatible with Win 7 yet, have a look here. Could you tell us which version you have. Matt

EDIT: I found this but cannot tell you whether it will help, give it a try

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Thank you for your continued assistance. I did read the info this morning, at Belkin. My version is the 5000 at the bottom of the list.
Having re-installed the driver for Vista 64 I am typing this using the adaptor. I also tried copying with the adaptor uninstalled and it still didn't solve the copy problem.
Is there perhaps a way to use a 32 bit driver and use a compatibility mode? I am not sure how this would be done, or the 64bit Vista driver in some kinf of compatibility mode?
Thank you

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

As far as I know when it comes to hardware for the network then you will need the exact driver (x86 or x64) so trying a 32 bit driver will not help!! Did you see my edit, maybe this may come of assistance.

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

I didn't see the edit until now. I have visited the site and read the item but am confused by the reference to Vista sp1 compatibility mode and how it applies or can be implemented in W7. Perhaps you can interpret this item for me, thank you

[Edit] I have a 64bit driver on my CD which is supposed to be for v5 and that is the one that is working here now. The web site indicates that v5 is 32 bit???
I also note that the author is trying to solve a 32bit problem

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Sorry enonod, I only looked at the answer and didn´t register that you were on 64 bit!!! SORRY, let me have a look around for you and post back, but the way it seems at the moment is that it´s just not supported!! Matt

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

A couple of things to try, first, look in Event Viewer and see if there are any ERRORS at the time the copy ended? Might give you a clue.

I'd also suggest using ROBOCOPY from the command line. If you have more than one core on your processor, the /MT parameter will allow you to use more than one. You can also LOG results (and look for an error if it fails). DO a ROBOCOPY /? to see all the available options and parameters.

From your description though I strongly suspect your USB driver. This is because you lose the USB Wireless and disk drive, hence, the USB driver is probably shutting down. Check with the computer manufacturer and see if they have an update, and possibly the disk drive or wireless supplier.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Thank you both for your input. I will certainly look into the USB driver, it does seem common to both. Hopefully there is a useful Acer site.
While I look into that I will also await any further comments.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, check this LINK out if you have an Acer Aspire M3641, as someone else (or you) have the same problem, there is a possible workaround there though.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Thanks for the suggestion. I have desktop Acer x1700. Having read it, it looks worth a try if I can figure installing in compatibility mode.
I will report back tomorrow, having been on this all day.

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

I have now tried the workaround, which took some effort to find but it was interesting reading.
Having reduced memory to 2GB I managed to copy the 23.7GB file at a rate of 27.9 MB/sec and it verified OK.
My thanks for finding that expensive (on memory) solution. I did not try the -1 tweak yet

Some observations on the way to here.
Originally I had constant messages driver loading unsuccessful and it appeared to refer to the belkin USB wireless.
Various drivers were updated from Acer then I notice that just prior to this solution I got the same message BUT the Belkin was working and I accessed the internet.
The Hardware list now shows... Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adaptor #2
A driver is not loading, but what for, there is no indication?
The list has no exclamations!!!

It would seem that the compromise with this workaround is to only set it when wanting to backup or copy large files, which are probably backups or videos. A script or something would be great, without rebooting, is that possible?

[Edit]Prior to the solution, the system always hung with the message 'calculating remaining time'.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I've had the 'repeated' network adapter happen on XP even. Probably has to do with an incomplete delete of the driver/hw. If it bothers you, you can DISABLE it in Device Manager.

I looked through the 1/2 memory 'fixes' and found this piece,

---------------------------------
Another way to do this and it saves more or your memory.
Saw this on the TechNet forum:

I have a little improvement for the temporary workaround that will allow us to use all the RAM minus 1 GB. In my case this is 7GB instead of the 2GB proposed by the original workaround.

Calculate your amount of memory in bytes in hexadecimal and substract 1 . You can use google to do the calculations or use scientific calculator. If you have 8GB like me just type in google (without quotes) "8 * 1024^3 - 1 in hexadecimal" and the result will be 0x1FFFFFFFF . For 6GB it is 0x17FFFFFFF and for 4GB it is 0xFFFFFFFF .
Type "bcdedit /set truncatememory 0x1FFFFFFFF " (no quotes) in an elevated command prompt if you have 8GB, or use the other hexadecimal numbers for other amounts of RAM.
Reboot
You will have, depending on the number used in step 2, either 7GB or 5GB or 3GB available, but the problem is solved.
I have not tested it with higher amounts of RAM, but as I say with 8GB of installed memory and 7GB of available memory it works.
Thank you Mark for finding out the original solution.

It seems to be a slightly better option since you only loose a little bit of memory (1 GB loss vs 2 GB fixed max)
-----------------------------------

Looks like you can just decrease it by 1GB, not have to cut it in half.

You don't need a script. Just open NOTEPAD and put the BCDEDIT command in it and SAVE the contents to your C:\ with names like LESSMEMORY.BAT for the one that reduces it and FULLMEMORY.BAT for the one that restores memory. Then, on the desktop RMB and select NEW --> SHORTCUT. Now locate one, say LESSMEMORY.BAT and press OK and now type in REDUCE MEMORY and OK. You now have a desktop icon that you can select to reduce the memory. Do the same for the other one and call it RESTORE MEMORY. If you want to also reboot the system from the command, add this line, SHUTDOWN /r, to Notepad before you save the file.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Thank you, I did try the -1 fix eventually and found it to also work. It would be nice to get it even higher but do not know whether there is something in BCDEdit that restricts the figures to GB.

Thank you for the very useful tip regarding the automating, oh for the old DOS days.

Posted 4 years ago

enonod

Note that this has now been hotfixed by Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!