The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Cookies Folder disappeared - poof along w/dsktp shtct

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by deGenova
  • Latest reply from deGenova
  • Topic Viewed 539 times

deGenova

I moved my desktop files recently to an external drive. I noticed today that the shortcut folder to "Cookies" is gone. This is a folder that I would check and clear constantly - I did NOT delete it.
I looked for the 'source file' (see image below) in the appropriate manner and its NOT there where it always was before.

Hidden folders box is UN-checked.

When I input shell:cookies" in search a file appears - I right click to open as admin - nothing.

Even though it appears in the search window (see image below) I right click to "Open as admin" result - Nada -

I also click on the "File Location" and it takes me to the right place (image below) but nothing is there.
==================================================================================================================

Images to show - Correct search method.................Bottom image is a Search result from "Start"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jIP-...../FINAL.jpg

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

This is an interesting phenomenon indeed. It is the same here - no cookies folder can be found in Appdata.

What is even more interesting - I defined a folder in My Documents and moved the cookies folder there (with the Move button in Properties > Location tab). Guess what, it made the move but then the folder I had defined in My Documents had disappeared too. Very strange.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think I found the solution. See picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

whs..............that did it............after an ominous warning pop up.............I now have a cookies the folder back...........I guess thingsget "checked" inadvertently? OR as my suspicious mind is wont to do sometimes - maybe a "cookie" insert was designed to 'check' that box - because it was always un-checked before.........:)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think the box is checked by default.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Your settings can get changed after Windows Updates.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Not those.

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

I would to say that I very much appreciate this Forum(s). Questions are always responded to in a polite and timely manner and I have yet to receive an unsatisfactory solution to every issue that I have ever submitted - from experts and 'lay-persons' alike. You people are like bulldogs too when it comes to staying with a problem till its solved.............and you always end by asking "Is the problem solved?" which means you really care.

I would like to support the Forums with a donation - I do not use PP so how can I do it easily and securely? Thank you all........

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

We are all volunteers and do not accept money. But thank you anyhow.

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

OK..........:)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!