The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) converting vista to xp

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by hpd185
  • Latest reply from hpd185
  • Topic Viewed 2835 times

hpd185

hello ive got a toshiba satellite a305-s6839 laptop trying to convert back to xp, follewed the steps for using nlite, retrieved chipset drivers from toshiba intergrated and still found no harddrive can anyone help??

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

How did you get the chipset drivers for nLite?

Edit: Did you use the Chipset drivers at Toshiba's chipset driver page for that model?

Posted 6 years ago

hpd185

sorry took so long At first i did get it from toshiba's website and it didnt seem to work so then i was messing around in the bios and changed the hdd controller to capatable and fired up my xp pro sp2 disc and it installed without error so far all is good just gotta find a drvr for the ati card?? (nlite is just a program for free to migrate the driver software onto a bootable iso disc for xp without any bells or whistles.

Posted 6 years ago

hpd185

also with the 15.4 wide screen it seems to have stretched everything out just a bit. did i pick the wrong setting as far as full screen or wide screen and if so i dont know how to change it if i can??

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

When installed Windows XP defaults to a low resolution. You need to go to Control Panel->Display and set the resolution to the correct one for your display.
You may need to install a graphics card driver to get options above 800x600.

Posted 6 years ago

hpd185

hmm thanks in settings ive got 1024x768 in 32 bit tru color, as for the video card there is an ati mobility radeon 3470 in there that i dont think is working well with xp (ati and toshibas website have same drivers for xp and vista) when i install it it says there is no capatable hardware exit out of setup ?? what does anyone think??

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. Usually for a laptop the correct resolution is at least 1280x800. Higher for a wide screen.
Also are you sure you have an ATI card? The driver page shows an Intel card as an option too.

Posted 6 years ago

hpd185

i think so according to the spec sheet its supposed to be there i guess ill mess around with it a little more today to get something to tweek. thanks, if you can think of anything in the meantime please let me know as i will keep you up to date on progress if any.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

To get your video chip, go to Start...Run... then type in dxdiag. After it finishes running go to the Display tab and it will list your graphics chipset, video RAM, driver versions etc.

Posted 6 years ago

hpd185

thank you ill be trying that today

Posted 6 years ago

hpd185

ok GOT ALL THAT AND BY THE WAY I USED THE RECOVERY/APPLICATION AND DRIVER DISC FROM TOSHIBA FOR THE VISTA OS AND IT HAD ALL DRIVERS FOR XP AS WELL I NOW GET TREMENDOUS DISPLAY OPTIONS AND IT ALL SEEMS TO BE NORMAL THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT (ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I MESSED WITH THIS STUFF)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!