How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

[solved] converting m4a to mp3

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by mandypinecone
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 11053 times

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

I'm trying to convert .m4a to .mp3. Does anyone know a good freeware program?

Reports: 1 · Posted 6 years ago

Barron

If you are dealing with .m4a files, I'm guessing you are using iTunes. In that case, this is easy. In iTunes go to Edit->Preferences. Then, on the Advanced tab, go to the Importing tab. Change "Import Using:" to MP3 Encoder. Now, in your library, highlight whatever .m4a files you want to change, right click, and select "Convert selection to MP3".

Of course, all that is moot if I'm wrong and you are not using iTunes.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I agree with Barron, this is the best bet...

If you weren't using iTunes, it would be worth it to install iTunes just for this task alone, as it does the best job of converting, and it's free.

Posted 6 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

Yes I'm using Itunes, and it works! Thanks guys.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

I have to go with dbpoweramp. You can convert files to all sorts of formats. Also, it is optimized to use a dual core processor. There is a free version and also a paid version... but the free version should be more than enough.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Posted 6 years ago

ladgpal

I HAVE DONE WHAT BARON SUGGESTED TO CONVERT THE FILES TO MP3 BUT NOW NOT SURE HOW I CAN GET THEM FROM iTUNES TO MY WIFE MOBILE PHONE USING AN SD CHIP? IF I CONVERT MY ENTIRE LIBRARY IN iTUNES TO MP3, WILL THIS BUGGER UP MY iTOUCH MUSIC PLAYER? THIS STUFF ALL NEW TO ME BUT LOVE IT.
LADGPAL

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

manually rename the file type from m4a to mp3. It'll run

Posted 6 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

You can drag the mp3 from your iTunes folder to your SD card. If you convert your library it will be fine for your iTouch, iTunes will make a new .mp3 copy of your entire library.

Please watch the all CAPS, thanks

Posted 6 years ago

notageek

I have the most recent itune 8.1.1 and I al also trying to transfer/share some of my audio files (from itunes) to my phone. Does the feature mentioned above still exist in itunes. I cannot see the import tab in advance tab anymore. Did the feature move elsewher in itunes?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Welcome, notageek.
You are posting to is a year old thread, please start your own for individual attention.
This one will be closed.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!