How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Convert pst to mbox

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by rpeters1428
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 129545 times

rpeters1428

Hello,
I have a couple of pst files that my friend used in outlook 2003 for years and over the years the pst files got way too big. I got him to convert to Mozilla Thunderbird but he wants to move over his pst files (emails) into the mbox format (for Thunderbird) but I am having trouble trying to find how to figure out to do it. I found two tools that somewhat does it, but I would like if there is one a tool that will straight convert the pst file to mbox format (and if possible, would be nice if it was free).

The total and end goal would to take the emails (archived) in the pst files and put them into his Gmail account he has, but I can't really do that until they are in the mbox format (unless I am wrong).

Please help!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

If Thunderbird is installed on same computer as Outlook you maybe able to use Thunderbird to import the mail from outlook.
In that case just open Thunderbird select Tools Menu > Import, select mail, select Outlook and continue the wizard.

Note though that if your friend is using Calender, Notes, Journal or such in Outlook that stuff can't be used in Thunderbird.

Posted 6 years ago

rpeters1428

Thanks for the reply...

It sounds good and I tried it and it works, but does/will it convert the pst file to the mbox format or does it stay as a pst file? The main goal is to convert the pst file to the mbox format.

Thank you though again for the reply.

Ryan

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That message import in Thunderbird will copy the messages in Outlook's PST file to Thunderbird's mbox files.
About the same with the address book import, Thunderbird will copy the contacts in Outlook's PST file to Thunderbird's contacts file.
Then you wait a while, make sure everything got imported correctly from Outlook then you may delete the PST file.

Posted 6 years ago

rpeters1428

Ok,

Makes more sense...thank you very much. That should fix the issue with the conversion.

Thank you again.
Ryan

Posted 6 years ago

Mac-Guyver

Importing with Thunderbird only works if
1) You're still on a PC running Windows, and
2) You have Outlook set up on that PC so that it's using the .pst file you want to export.

Thunderbird actually talks to Outlook to get the stuff. On a Mac, the option to import from Outlook doesn't show up (or maybe it shows up if you have the old Mac Outlook (pre-2000) still on your Mac? Does that even run on OS X?)

There are at least two formats of .pst files depending on which version of Outlook you had.

There is a set of free software tools called libpst, at http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/ Specifically, readpst converts the mail to mbox files (in nested folders if you like) and converts contacts to vcard files. Other output formats are also supported. Their page says that the latest version converts both older and newer .pst files.

These are unix-style command-line utilities. I compiled the source from five-ten-sg.com (on OS X 10.4.11 on a G3). I didn't see pre-compiled versions there.

The Thunderbird help on pst files currently mentions something called xena, a Java program that actually uses an included copy of readpst to convert pst files. However, when I checked, it was an older readpst that didn't work on the .pst file I had.

Posted 5 years ago

akaran

I do not have a functional PC at home and hence I had to take the libpst route as suggested by Mac-Guyver. For this to work all you need is your Mac. NO PC REQUIRED BUT EXPERIENCE WITH TERMINAL IS REQD!!! I spent 2 days trying to get libpst to work and I just finally did and I have to say it works like a charm. However getting libpst to build was quite a long process so I wanted to document it here to help others and there are quite a few steps to follow. So here goes...

My Machine: Macbook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) installed. According to Mac-Guyver this should work on OS X 10.4.1 and above, but I have just installed and got it working on my machine.

0. Check if you have gcc installed by opening Terminal and typing "which gcc" at the command prompt. It should return "/usr/bin/gcc" or another path where gcc is installed. If there is no response (as in Snow Leopard) that means gcc needs to be installed. Insert the Snow Leopard CD. Enter the “Optional Installs” folder. Run Xcode.mpkg. This should install gcc. Once the install is complete check again by running the command "which gcc" at the command prompt.

1. Download libpst source from http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/packages/ (I downloaded libpst-0.6.45.tar.gz which was the latest version). It should automatically unzip in the folder you downloaded it into. Remember this directory path for later.

2. In order to install libpst you also need to install "boost". Download the latest source from the boost site here http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/ and download the latest version (mine was 1.41.0).

3. Open Terminal and 'su' as root (you can also use sudo for each command from here on but su is easier in my mind. If you do not have a root account setup on you mac then google for the steps to activate it.) and "cd" to "/usr/local/" and run this command at the command prompt
"tar --bzip2 -xf /your/download/directory/boost_X_XX_X.tar.bz2" (where X_XX_X represents the release number).

4. Once that is complete you will see a directory now under "/usr/local/" called "boost_X_XX_X". "cd" into this directory.

5. At the command prompt type "./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/usr/local/". This will take a few mins to run.

6. Once that is done at the command prompt type "./bjam install". This will take a while to run - 15 to 30 mins. Get a cup of coffee.

7. At this point boost is installed. "cd" to the directory where you downloaded libpst-X.X.XX (Step 1).

8. Type "./configure" at the command prompt. Once that is done type "make" at the command prompt. And once that is complete finish with "make install".

9. You have now successfully installed libpst. You should find libpst, readpst and pst2ldif under "/usr/local/bin" directory.

10. Run this command at the command prompt in the directory you want the "mbox" created "readpst -r /path/to/the/pst/files/yourfile.pst" and you have successfully converted pst files to mbox. Piece of cake!

I have been able to convert pst files from way back in 2001 and as recent as 2005.

Posted 4 years ago

mram

thanks for the guidance on libpst. I managed to get everything working pretty smoothly until step 8 "./type configure. When I execute the command it seems to find what it is looking for including the python directory. But, when it cannot not find the Boost - Python directory and stops the configuration. the error code is below
checking consistency of all components of python development environment... yes
checking whether the Boost::Python library is available... no
configure: error: boost python not found
I've tried to direct it t the boost-python directory, but have been unsuccessfull. I'm thinking it is an issue with Mac OS X 10.6.2 but cannot confirm...any thoughts? So close...but still far away.

Many thanks

Reports: 1 · Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Hi mram. Welcome. Please ask your question in a New Topic.Thanks.

Reports: 1 · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!