The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

CONTINUALLY CRASHING

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by sandillajoan
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 813 times

sandillajoan

My computer is crashing. Sometimes I get a blue screen. Sometimes it says windows won't load. Someitmes my screen gets tiled/blurry. It consistently shuts down in the evening too while during the day it is not as consistent in shutting down. So far, in spite of what is happening, if I unplug it; and start it again I can get it going. You name it, I've seen it. My computer was perfectly fine 4 months ago. I tried to Restore. The only dates I saw that I could go back to where for the current month. I even tried restoring to the earliest date in Aug. I saw,and it 'failed'. I wish I could restore to 6 months ago but can't. I have used CCleaner and all is cleaned. I used my anti-spyware and I have no virus. I have defragged. When I check the health of my computer it says the health of the hard drive is 'good'. I have removed all remnants leftover when uninstalling programs. I have a 3.5 yr. old HP Presario. Model SR5710Y. 32bit. AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e - 2.30GHz. RAM is 3.00GM. SP2. Vista Home Premium 2007. All windows updates have been installed. All Norton updates have been installed. I have plenty of space left on my hard drive too as I checked. I have used MSFix it site to make sure registry keys are ok. These are what I see most recently when I check Problems and Reports (no solutions). "User Profile Service stopped working" - "WMI Provider Host Stopped Working" and "Symantic Service Framework Stopped...." I don't know if these are all somehow related to the other but for the life of me I can't fix this on my own. I'm just a regular user and can only follow directions that are not in tech. terms. Is there any possibility that my internet provider who is advertising great 'free upgrades' can have something to do with this. Should I have them reset my modem? I'm totally lost at this point. Can somebody guide me in simple to understand terms - or is it time to pay the big bucks to get this thing professionally fixed??

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I know this is difficult for a non-tech to do, but here is what I would do.

Open the case and check to see if all of the fans, including the one in the power supply are working.
Blow out the dust around and near all fans. Use a can of compressed air if you can.
Then I would check the power supply. You may need a friend who has a volt meter for that.
(I am suspecting the power supply, or the motherboard based on your multiple symptoms.)
However to be sure it is not malware causing your problem I would run Malwarebytes Antimalware or even a stand alone Malware check like Windows Defender Offline.
You could also Run Chkdsk C:\ /r via a command prompt acknowledging that you need to run it on restart.
That is what I would do if you brought it to me and I charged you "Big Bucks".

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil

Does the bluescreen stay on long enough for you to get an error or stop code? Something like 0x0001234A

Posted 2 years ago

sandillajoan

Dear Xhi and also Superevil: I apologize to you and all in this forum if I insulted your expertise by using the words "big bucks". I meant no harm at all. Certainly, somebody in your positions deserve every penny they earn. It is hard earned and well deserved I know. I get very nervous when hiring people to fix things for me when I am totally ignorant of what they are doing. It puts me in a vulnerable position and historically I've been taken advantage of. again, sincere apologies to you and all i may have inadvertantly insulted. With that........I'm not sure what a 'power supply' is? Is it the "CyberPower" 425VA I have everything plugged into?. Frankly, I was beginning to wonder if it was working properly. Do you recommend I buy a new one? It's 3.5 yrs old. And I am also going to try to clean it as suggested because it's never been cleaned once since I bought it except for very casual dusting. I did run Malwarebytes Antimalware more times than I can count and it shows absolutely no threats whatsoever. And, as somebody else suggested I use Revo for when I uninstall a program. I will try Windows Defender Offline as well but I think I may have done that too. I'm really trying hard to fix this myself. It is like a hard crossword puzzle in a way, where there is a right answer but I can't figure it out for the life of me. But in my trying and taking suggestions here, I am learning a lot thanks to you all. As Far as the Blue Screen goes I never noticed an error code but definitely will look for it next time it happens. And it will happen. Thanks and I'll let you all know how this works out for me. And, btw, there are othere things that come up in Problems/Solutions too like COMM Surregate but that seems to be ok now. The ones I've told you about are the most common and most recent. Sorry I talk too much too. If you can please put up w/me and answer my few more questions I will do everything you suggest and report back. Sandi

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil

If it does stay on long enough for you to get the error code(s) those are great for us to figure out if maybe your issue is hardware or software related. One thing you can try it MSCONFIG. Click the Start button, type MSCONFIG into the search box and hit enter. Select the SERVICES tab, check the box that says Hide All Microsoft Services that is to the left of the Enable All/Disable All buttons. Once you check Hide All Microsoft Services, click Disable All. Go back through that list and recheck ALL the Norton items. Next, click on the START UP tab, click Disable All again, and recheck any Norton items that may be in that list, then hit OK, then hit Restart on the popup that appears. This will disable all your startup programs except your Antivirus. If you don't get any more bluescreens after this the cause is most likely software related.

Posted 2 years ago

sandillajoan

Thanks - to the best of my limited ability and knowledge, and based on taking the good advice of Superevil, I believe that the problems I am having with the many blue screens I get are hardware related.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

What Hardware though ?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.