How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - continuous streaming to stream-clips

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by RRRoman
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 343 times

RRRoman

Hi,
Here's the problem. At work where we obviously not allowed to have work-unrelated fun so along with applications like spotify the firewall stops any continuous streaming such as internet radio broadcasts and such. However it allows the non-continuous streaming such a youtube clips (or any other clips video or sound that has a visible end to it).
So I thought that I could set up a server that would buffer up the stream from a given internet radio broadcast chop them up in "clips" and unicast them to me as a playlist sound clips (which should be okay with the firewall).
What do you think? Is it possible? Has it been done before? What language/platform would you recommend for implementing it?

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

bump
&
update

I'll probably start hacking some solution later when I have some spare time. Anyone interested in the progress and results to be posted here or shall I just keep it to myself?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

We don't like people hacking their work, or school systems here.

Posted 1 year ago

BigDaveRS

Plus the majority of work/school systems that have strict firewall and system security are usually monitored, you'll be caught.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you considered actually working while a your job?

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

that's answer enough... :P

still:
1. then you really do not understand the definition of the word hacking (not to be confused with cracking).
2. Not a big deal since I am not doing anything explicitly forbidden the worst thing they'd do is to filter the IP/domain of the server.
3. Have you considered that it is possible to listen to music while working?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Here's the problem. At work where we obviously not allowed to have work-unrelated fun

Your words, not allowed should be answer enough.

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

Well that was written with a bit of humor in mind (perhaps wasn't the best idea), so I was just thinking of a fun project to make work more enjoyable, plus it would actually better if I did it this way instead of just playing some track on youtube where I am streaming video that I don't watch along with the music. So I thought sharing thoughts about the hobby project with people here, see if anyone has some useful input since it would actually be fun to implement, but apparently, this sort of thing is frowned at HTG.

so sorry... I guess?!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Me too.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!