How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Connections Tab Missing In Internet Options

(21 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ujangje
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 88140 times

ujangje

Hii guys..for info..my office using Vista Business,Internet Explorer 7

My problem is the connections tab is missing in Internet Options .I want to enable it back in internet options so i can make some tuning there in LAN Connections. Normally there was 7 tab menu in that Internet Options.

1.general
2.security
3.privacy
4.content
5.connections
6.program
7.advanced

Now the tab no.5 for connections was disable by somebody for unknown reasons.can someone help me to enable it again.Any help kindly regards from me.

In XP i know how to enable it by doin this

go RUN, type in gpedit.msc
then u wil get group policy windows,
Go to the following,
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel

now u can see the 'tabs' of IE, u may configure there.

But in vista i didnt found thats "run" ,the "help menu" said we need to run from msdos,then type "gpedit.msc"
,i'ved tried it,but it's wont work.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I just looked in the Group Policy Settings Reference and found the registry value.
Value Name: ConnectionsTab
Key 1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
Key 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
Just open the registry editor go to those keys and delete the value if it exists.

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

Thx for help..i'ved done what u told me,but this is VISTA not Xp,n i couldnt find any key like u said,

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Did you look in both keys I listed? Also it should apply to Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

Yup..Bro..i'ved look at both key lisyed ..n no such key like u highlight at the posted,that one just stucks until "computer,HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE_\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft...and just that i can reached,if u got any new solutions please inform me here,still need help from u or any body outside there..thx.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

Out of curiosity, I tried on my Vista and xp machines and came to a stop after policies\microsoft.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

Maybe someone at the office changed settings,has system restore been tried?

Posted 6 years ago

MousePotato

I have Vista Ultimate rather than Vista Business, but I can see the policy mentioned by the original poster when I run the Group Policy Object Editor (gpedit.msc). And the User Configuration equivalent too.

Is the problem not being able to run gpedit.msc in the first place? (The original post's wording isn't clear to me, but it _sounds_ like you can't find "Run", and it doesn't work from a command prompt.)

Have you tried the Classic Start menu, which has "Run" where you'd expect to find it from XP? (Unless another policy has removed it, of course!)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

If Run doesn't come up with "Win+R" then there is a problem

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

OK guys...sorry for disturb all of u,since now the problem is settle,it was my mistake..what wrong in my steps?? it was because i'ved tested it on my Vista Home Premium desktop which doesnt support the future of " Group Policy",now i'ved tested it on "Vista Ultimated" n now i can get it easily by enter this"gpedit.msc" in "run"..hu hu hu..so sorry for disturbing u all...this will be my xperiance to mentions that Home Premium N Basic doesnt support this functions at all,by the way thx so much from me..N for 'RUN" ,it was there for a month,just i'm miss looking for it in "Start menu",(sometimes while we looking for hard solutions,we forgot some easiet way) ..hu hu hu...thx again from me..

Regards..
ujang from Malaysia..

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

For Mr/Ms Mouse Potato,u are rite,i cant find the run menu at first...(laugh for myself),because i'm too busy looking d solutions in HELP ,make my brain stop working for a while,and now when all of this finish,then i'm found it ,it was there ,not goin anywhere ....thx Mouse Potato..

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Thanks for that ujangje, it is a big man who admits his mistakes.
You can put "Run" back into your Start Menu if you wish (it's in the customize start menu).
ps We know it's not in Home Premium :)

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

Hmm Mr Light House..now i'ved put that "RUN" as a shortcut onto my desktop..so next time when i'm gonna to use it,no need to forgot it anymore..thx for u too because helping my out of this prob..

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

ujangje, if you are happy, so am I :)

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

Now i'm laugh for myself,coz make eveybody also sick to think whats wrong with my system,someone that disable that menu now teaching me something new trick n tips over here,n now i'ved found this forum is very friendly n usefull to share our problem...well where are u rite now mr light house,thats unique name,remain me back to my wife hometown at one of an island here.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

I thank you ujangje. But please, my name is just Lighthouse (no mr) :)
Any problems, and we are here to help :)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Just Lighthouse, eh? Then how come you told me to call you "Sir Lighthouse the Great"?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

And just when was that good sir? If I may be so bold as to ask!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I was just kidding. Hoping to set you up for a humorous reply. Guess I was too vague. :-S

Posted 6 years ago

ujangje

Ok lighthouse,what ever u want,just wish u still happy and able to help us around here...also for ScottW..

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.