How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

connecting 2 pc's

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 3087 times

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

um can someone tell me if this is true can i connect two pcs only two with just using a cat5 crossover cable or do i need something else need for sharing files and some other things thx to any1 who can help

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Answer is yes as long as both PC's have an ethernet port. You can also do it via the WiFi if both computers have WiFi. Look into your friendly "Help and Support" on the system. Type "Home Network". For more than 2 you need a router.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Also if you have an internet connection that uses Ethernet to connect to the computer you will probably need a router to have the internet connection and the two computers connected at the same time.
If you have an Internet Gateway device then a switch will work too.
Some motherboards do have two Ethernet connections but usually they don't.

Edit: Updated to list the Internet Gateways as an option too.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, for your case I would think a switch would do the job in lieu of a router. Switches you can buy starting at $10.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@whs: It depends. As I understand it a switch just connects different computers together. You would need a NAT router to share the internet connection between the computers. The NAT router bridges the local computer connections together with an internet connection.
You would need an IP Address from the ISP for each computer to use a switch instead of a router. Something that is more complicated and expensive to get.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, I have 2 PC's on a switch and both are on the same internet line (same modem) - no router or any other hardware involved. Works perfectly - in fact better than the router that I threw out. But I have not tried any sharing between the two (since there is no need), but I would think that this works too.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Is the internet connection you have plugged into the switch or another port on the computer?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

thx for the help

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I am not sure I understand your question. Though here is the setup: Each PC connects from the ethernet port on the PC to the switch. The switch in turn connects to the DSL modem and the modem, of course, to the phone line.
Addition: the one PC (a laptop) is on a 15 foot ethernet cable. Just to say that a relatively long cable works.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. That is odd.
I thought the setup:
Switch:
-> Computer A
-> Computer B
-> DSL Modem -> Phone Line

Would not work right unless the switch part was a router.
What are you sharing between the computers with the switch? Just files?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

But it does - since 5 months. Trust me. It's one of those white Netgear switches for $15.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

As I understand it the only way that would work is if the DSL Modem was also a router. I could be wrong though.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

My modem is a plain vanilla Netopia modem - no router capability.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. I just read a little bit of some wikipedia pages at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router
It appears according to those pages that there are different layers of networking and routers/switches are just marketing terms that don't always mean the same layer.

Edit: Thinking about it, it could be what I thought before and you just get more then one IP Addresses from your ISP for free.
If you do ipconfig /all from the Command Prompt do you have an IP Address of 192.168.0.x , 10.x.x.x or something else like 69.x.x.x or 71.x.x.x?
Note: It's not important, I'm just wondering if that is the case. Also if it is that means that it depends on the ISP/Modem Type weather or not you need a router or a switch.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

having trouble with Image Grotto again. I'll try Photobucket.

Image deleted because no longer needed.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. 192.168.1.254 is a local address. Some device must have a DHCP Server running and I only know of routers or DSL Modems with a builtin router doing that. A switch cannot provide DHCP to my knowledge.
If you go to http://192.168.1.254/ in your browser does a web page come up? If one does that would say what device is working as a local DHCP Server.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Image deleted because no longer needed

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. That matches what I found when did a Google search for the IP Address and found http://compnetworking.about.co.....-254-d.htm
It lists "Netopia / Cayman Internet gateways" as having that IP Address.
Your Netopia DSL Modem must also be an Internet Gateway.
I think an Internet Gateway does similar things that a router does so that would be why you only need a switch and not a router.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

So what you are saying is that I am the lucky one. Good for me.
PS: I hope it's OK I deleted the pics - for obvious reasons. Please delete my num (in the link) too.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Yep that is fine. They aren't needed now.
Also for future information I usually just go into Paint or something and draw a white box over things like email addresses or other private data before posting a screen shot if needed.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.