The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Connect to network, but not internet....please help

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by okie59
  • Latest reply from okie59
  • Topic Viewed 309 times

okie59

Something weird is happening over the past 2-3 days. I can connect to my apartment's router and get connected to the network, but cannot connect to the internet.
My smartphone has no problems with the same router--ie, can connect to network and internet.
Laptop that won't connect to apartment router internet, connects fine elsewhere.

Am I crazy? Is it malware? is it a Win 7 update issue?

All help appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

FoxBalls
FoxBalls

I had a similar problem. I looked and looked and searched my computer...I found a toggle switch on my keyboard Fkeys with an icon for wireless turn on. On my Toshiba it's "F8". On some older laptops it's a toggle switch on the side of the laptop frame.

I hope you find the problem before you lose your patience.

Posted 1 year ago

okie59

Thanks FoxBalls. The issue has something to do with my laptop network adapter and the wireless router at my apartment. I can take my laptop to other places with wifi and connect to the internet without problems.

I just can't get the internet connection to the apartment's router. I can't find the location of the router to reboot it (technically it is the property of the apartment complex and not mine.

I've disconnected and rebooted my laptop. I cancelled the connection, reconnected through the network connection.

Posted 1 year ago

okie59

Problem solved. Apartment server running the various wifi routers had some contaminated corrupt files. They have been repaired and I'm able to get internet on my laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!