The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Computer Won't Boot / Boot MGR is missing

(74 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by GregoryG
  • Latest reply from Veegertx
  • Topic Viewed 2454 times

GregoryG

Um, I have previously had problems with my computer as regards to it not booting, and the hdd having trouble. But in the past, I have been able to fix it by using my windows 7 disc, and doing clean installs of windows. When I was using my computer before I had this problem, I had two partitions: one I was operating off of, it had all my info, various programs, etc. , it was on c: My second partition was a partition I was using before I did a fresh install on C: So, yesterday, I only had 20 gigs left on C: , and D: had almost 200 gigs free. I used a 3rd party program to try and resize D: , but it was going terribly slow, it took about 2 or 3 minutes to shrink it enough for 1 gig, and I needed plenty of gigs. So, I decided to format D: and just add the unallocated space to C: .. so I did, and I rebooted my computer, and it said no bootable device, and I came to find out that I was booting from D: , but doing everything from my C: partition. I tried using the windows 7 disc, but, my computer went dead, and shut down when I was doing a clean install on the unallocated space that I had from D: Now, my computer is saying Boot MGR is missing { press ctrl + alt + del to restart } .. but when I restart the same message comes up. I don't know what to do now..

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

Yes if you install to other partitions the boot is still on 1st disk.

How about wipe all partitions and start over. Make an extra for files and install OS to 1st.
If you want to save any files then get the Bitdefender CD and boot with it to copy files over to like a usb.
http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

@ Veegertx: I have lots of information and stuff on that partition that I absolutely have to keep, you think there's a way to back up all of the stuff on my C: partition? But, I can't start over because whether I try to boot from my hdd, or the windows 7 disc, it tells me Boot Mgr is missing, before I could use the disc, but, I left the room for a sec, and came back to see my computer off. And when I started it back up, I got the Boot Mgr is missing. Thanks for the suggestion !

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

I was just catching up on Geek articles hold on let me find that one

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

EDIT:

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

@ Veegertx: Thanks ! I'll check it out and let you know how it works out, if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

I updated the thing look at the article

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

What did you change?

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

the link how to boot off your dvd and repair
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

Oh, I'm using windows 7. I could be wrong, but it looks like that's just for Vista.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

don't matter says Boot Windows 7 or Vista
They are same far as boot

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

So, the Vista Recovery disc will work for Windows 7? BTW, the minitool program didn't work, my computer is still saying Boot MGR is missing ..

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

Vista disk won't work for 7. The article is for both Vista and 7 is what I meant as far as boot.

If that don't help then my 1st post with bitdefender and plug an extra drive or usb and copy your files over and do clean install

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

Alright. uh, man, I feel stupid :/... um, when I went into my bios I accidentally put usb cd/rom drive first, instead of putting internal cd drive first. I popped in the minitool cd again, and I'm gonna try that again. and if that doesn't work, I'll probably be able to use the windows 7 disc and figure something out ! But, if I did a fresh install on the unallocated space I have, you think I'd be able to still use programs, and access files from my C: partition that I was using before I formatted D: ?

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

You're learning and that is not a stupid thing. Been there done that myself on ocassion :)

The article shows how to fix the boot but if that don't work then I would save the files using the Bitdefender CD
Might see if this works also windows-7-comes-lot-repair-options

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

Alright, thanks for your help ! I cranked up minitool, and I'm currently trying to recover the partition I formatted. I might just have to resize it after all, and hope for the best.

Posted 3 years ago

GregoryG

I have a question , um, minitool is working kinda but when it finds the partition i deleted, and i click finish , it warns me that one of my partitions may be deleted... and it might delete the partition i wanna keep. If you know anyway to explain this or clear it up , i' d appreciate it.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x

GregoryG,
First I would suggest you get your important data "OFF" of your hard drive before you attempt to play with your partitions.
You can download either the BitDefender from the link above or Unbuntu from this link.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
Once you download the file of your choice then burn to a Cd > change your boot order in your BIOS making your optical device as first boot > start your computer > recover everything you can onto either an external hdd, DVd, or flash drive.
Once you have your important data saved and off your existing hard drive then you will need to completely wipe your hard drive and start new.
After wiping your drive you can insert the Win7 installation DVD in DVD tray and go through the complete installation including formatting and windows will make a new "C" partition to install win7.
When you finally get your system up and running then make a backup image so if something happens in the future it will only take approx 1/2 hr to get up and running again.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx

I wouldn't do that.
Instead try the Geek article above about fixing the mbr with your Win 7 dvd.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x

@Veegertx, There have been many many posts with the bootmgr problem and that link has been tried many many times with little if any success.
Our main concern right now is helping the OP retrieve his data. Playing around with un-allocacted space by trying to repartition will eventually cause the data the OP needs to get corrupted.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.