SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Computer that cost about 199-200? or lower?

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chris
  • Latest reply from chris
  • Topic Viewed 815 times

chris

Hey guys... I got a big favor from my brother. He needs a computer that doesn't go over 250 ish.. less money, the better... He's going to buy the computer and take it to college... so... please... if you have the time, help... i've been looking up computers too.. Also, if you guys can find good deals, that'll be awsome... don't you guys think that computers are getting so much cheaper? So mabey it'll be easier to find a good one... thank you for your time and I'll be greatly thankful for your help!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Your best bet is to look up some used computers... ebay, craigslist, people you know.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

A new computer under £250 is still not going to be very good, even thought prices HAVE lowered
what is this computer going to be used for?
just work?

if I were you follow Geeks advice and use ebay or similar

word of warning

is it is vista
you NEED 1gb + RAM, 2gb is better

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Used is your only option. And as I know you Chris, you want XP anyhow. So an older PC (I assume you want a laptop for your brother) is your best bet. But buy from someone you trust because those deals usually come without any warrenty. $450 is the absolute minimum in new laptops ($400 for desktops with a small monitor). And for that you don't get much plus it's all Vista. There is one option though. That is the Asus Eee for $300 (if you can get one). That runs with Linux and is very, very small (I think a 7 to 8 inch screen, small memory and small SSD - Solid State Disk). But it weighs only 2 pounds.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have also seen the Asus Eee supplied with XP and OS X
Edit. and it's also possible to run Vista on it.
and also dual boot XP and Linux

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

You are right Lighthouse. But that is NOT the $300 edition. http://www.just-eee-pcs.com/?g.....ZwodgRaotg

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I know. But, you can D.I.Y.

Posted 6 years ago

chris

how about 300 then?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!