How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Computer terms and lingo

(52 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by James-Gameser
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 2995 times

madmacs
madmacs

Hi James, newer power supplies normally have 2 fans built in. One on the bottom facing inwards to suck the warm air in that´s in the tower, another at the back that blows the air out. So, you wouldn´t need more fans in that case. The 4800 series from Ati are indeed good video cards, but you have to make sure that the motherboard supports them. NVIDIA and ATI use different M/B´s as with Intel and AMD processors. Good motherboards have 1 or 2 network connections built in nowadays, so there´s no need for an extra network card. Controller cards can used for many different purposes depending on what they are made for, but as with the network connections, a good M/B should have evering onboard. (USB, Firewire, audio, etc,etc.)

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

alright, thx u saved me a bunch of money :) so now what would be a good mother board here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Dual.....ingPayment

WOuld this be a good custom computer?

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

http://cgi.ebay.com/GeForce-98.....ingPayment

This one seems a little fishy... the power supply is at 500 watts, and then he goes on to explain how this is not too important. also, he has overclocked it so will that cause problemos?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

It's not really a good idea to overclock if you are inexperienced in computing.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Agreed ^

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi James, that´s one massive overclock on an E5200. The normal core speeds are 2,5GHz and that one has been pushed to 3,2GHz!! Unless the seller states that he gives you warranty I wouldn´t go for it. Intel definately won´t give you a refund if the processor fries after 6 months!!! The graphics card is a different matter, BFG always O/C their cards and have quite a good name for themselves. If anything happened to the card within the warranty period you would get a new one without problems.

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

okay wait. i thought the E5200 was the really good one. or was that e6400
im going to go check. anyways, ive decided not to buy any 'overclocked' thingies because their life expectancy would probably be lower with all the heat. am i right?

(my brain is too lazy to think today sorry)

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

nononono, nvm it was the e8400 i should get. :(

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

Guys, I want you all to know that i ordered my computer. it was like this:

Dell XPS
@3.16 GHz

@8 GB of RAM (I know thats not necesary but my brother said its a good deal and would make it future proof)

@750 W pow supply

@I think there are 2 good heatsink fans

@9800 GT video card

@500 GB Har drive

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

is it a 420 or 630?

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

oh i thought i put that b4 my bad. its a 630 desktop

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Good to hear you have finally got what you wanted James. 8 GB of Ram is a bit over-the-top though, have you ordered a 64bit version of Vista with your Dell?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!