How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Computer terms and lingo

(52 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by James-Gameser
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 2995 times

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

I'm 16 and I want to learn more about computers, basically the basics. I know you guys have probably been through this with other people on other forums, but I dont really have the time or patience to tell the truth, to look thru all the forums. My family is going to buy a computer in the near future and my dad says I should research some about it before i buy the thing. so here are some simple terms i would like explained. Like what are their functions and which ones make a pc faster and what kinds of specs do u need to play games like battlefield 2142, Spore, C&C Tiberium Wars and other such games on the upcoming gaming horizon.

1) Hardrive
2) Processor
3) Video Card
4) Fans
5) RAM (Im especially confused what the purpose of this is)
6) Other majorly important computer widgets

P.S. The computer we're buying is a Desktop not a Laptop, and we may be buying online. And I will definetly be using it for gaming. Not completely all out hardcore gaming though.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi James, well the main question is, how much money does your father want to invest? (i presume HE will be paying for it!!) A gaming machine can start at about $1000 (I think as I live in Europe) and go up from there. Tell us a round about price and we can inform you from there!!

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

1. Harddrive: this is where all of your documents are saved. you will probably want something in the range of 150 GB +

2. Processor: this is where most of the speed comes in usually the higher the number the faster it is. like 2.5ghz to 3.0 ghz. and you will want to get a fast dual core processor or a quad core.

3. video card: well this is where the gaming part comes in. the better card you have the better games you can run in higher graphics modes. usually the card will depend on how much you are going to spend on the computer.

4. fans: they are kind of self explanatory they just help cool down your system so it doesn't over heat

5. ram: this has a big impact on how fast your computer is going to be too. you will want around 2gb's - 4gb's of ram.

the only other things that you may want to look at is if you want to burn dvd's or cd's. also what operating system are you planning on installing? and are you going to build it your self or are you going to buy a pre setup one?

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Good post there Jack

Judging by what he said, I doubt that he is planning on building though!

James, take note of what Jack said - I'll re-iterate 2/4gb's of RAM is good, and along with a decent processor should keep your machine up to speed.

Fans aren't particularly important unless you are building - otherwise a perfectly adequate one is generally supplied as part of the machine.

Are you also thinking about monitors? For gaming you should be looking at around 22-inch or larger (I expect) and maybe dual screens? This is down to personal opinion.

Peripherals? (Mouse, keyboard etc....)

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

Ya I'm pretty sure my dad isnt going to want to pay for anything more than $1300-1500 at most, No we're not going to build it ourselves, last time we had this computer built by a guy and he didnt do too good of a job. SO we're going to buy a prebuilt one.

Thanks to Jack for the information, that was pretty helpful. My dad and I tried to ask the guy at the store, but there were some language issues. But thanks again for the help

About the Operataing system. my brother who is in college got a XPS laptop and it automatically had windows vista installed on it. I used it quite a bit, and it got me kind of annoyed, maybe because im not used to it but ya, im not so sure about windows vista. My brother also told me something about how windows vista takes up a whole core of the dual core, so his 2.0 dual core is brought down to just a 2.0 normal core or whatever. Im not so sure about this, so if theres any more information about the whole core things and windows vista it would help.

About the monitor and peripherals. The monitor is an issue because we live overseas as i said in an area where there is not so much stuff to buy. So I'm not sure if we can get a monitor for a decent price here. And also if we're going to buy one online is it safe and if the price is better than at the store here. I might go back to the store this week and check the prices. but for the mean-time, is $700 a good price for a 19" monitor? We bought this monitor in 2004. The Mouse and Keyboard will probably come with a computer or we can buy them here so thats not a big issue. No dual monitors.

When we went to the store the other day and looked at computers, There was one for $700. It had 6GB RAM, 2.2 GHZ and it was and HP, I think it had 750 GB hard drive. And then another one was only $350 but 2GB and 2.7GHZ. We tried to ask the guy there why the differece in price was, but again there was a language issue :( These are the pc s without monitors.

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

P.S. This is a really useful website and thanks for replying back :)

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think the best thing you can do is just look around and see some of the prices and if you have a general idea of what you want then it will be a bit easier

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Vista, although more power-hungry than XP certainly DOES NOT use 'a whole core' :D

I think you should stick with Vista, because even though it may take you a little while to get used to, it is the new platform, and really is very good (so speaks an avid Vista user since the past year!)
I have had no issues at all, and all the bugs have been ironed out!

Overseas - as in where?
US side, or Europe?
$700 is not bad, but a little expensive I think

Those computers are very odd pricing!

Why don't you go to a place your own language?

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

Korea. It's a store on the american base here that i had issues with. So thats why im even more skeptical about going to the korean electronics market. I saw some pretty cool stuff online, a 22" monitor for only $200! so thats a definite maybe. And this one comp i fouind on ebay that said it was 'overclocked' to 3.7 GHZ. And it was only 600 i think without the operating system or monitor and all that. Sorry for writing so much b4.

But again since im in Korea, not many people will ship computers here, if its even allowed \./
Since this is a Forum about computer terms, What does OVERCLOCKED mean?

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

Ah ah, I saw another goodly priced one on ebay that says 'quad core'

What is this 'Quad Core'?

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Quad Core means that a processor has 4 cores. I made the mistake about 6 months ago thinking a Quad would be a faster processor than a Dual Core, which is not the case!!! Most games that are available only support dual core (at least for now!!). Quad core is only really interesting for people that are using it for video decoding. At the end of the day you should be looking for a fast Dual Core, personally i think an Intel E8400 is a fairly cheap and fast enough processor for gaming

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

Ok thanks for the heads up.

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

And about the Intel Dual Core, I was checkin some reviews and they all say its a BEAST. they all gave it 5 stars and the only problem ive seen so far is that one guy said it wasnt compatiablewith many motherboards, but seeing as how im buying a new comp this shudnt be a problem.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

over clocking basically means that you are running the hardware faster than it is meant to go but by doing this you will need to be more cautious of heat because a over clocked system will put out a lot more heat than just the out of the box product. i would say that you most likely don't need to over clock as long as you get a nice speedy computer

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Overclocking is probably a little un-necessary unless you are doing hard-core gaming, and really know what you are doing - could be a little risky!
I'd leave it if I were you.

James - what are you actually looking at? Made any decisions yet? =P

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

Ya, ive seen a few I like online, their pretty cheap, but my dad still hasnt decided to really buy one yet. Its just his personality and im used to it. But also i have a rich friend that says he can sell me an alienware area 51 for 600$ with the monitor and all the stuff like keyboard and mouse included, so im bending towards that one. Andalso i want to buy one right now b4 the christmas consumeristic (nice word huh?) season rolls in and the prices go up. my dad says that we should w8 until after christmas to buy it. Im kind of frustrated but oh well.. so i hope he'll let me buy the one from my friend. Thanks for all ur help guys, if i dont get the one from my friend i'll buy one with the Intel E8400 that madmacs specified.

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

U have some creativity aleeve. u and all the mods. u made me laugh when i was reading that GAME! forum with the camel and the going to the moon and the nepalese babies and all that. how do u have so much creativity? lol.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

James, with monitors, you really need to see them in action before you make a choice.
A few months ago, when I was looking to buy a 22", I think I must have read every report, on every one on the market.
The overall consensus, was to go for a mid-range model. The cheaper models did not really rate that well.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Lol James
I remember that games forum, quite old now :D

Nice one - I'm not a mod though lol

Posted 5 years ago

James-Gameser
James-Gameser

oh ur not! but u know alot about computers. they should hire u

yea and im going to go see my friends computer, but he says it has Xp and is about 2 years old sooo.. i may not buy that. I have a taco salad w8ing now. I hope your floating horse that moves back and forth in a mysterious manner is doing alright. ;l

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.