The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Computer shuts off after few seconds

(12 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Kspaa
  • Latest reply from gaitch32
  • Topic Viewed 2600 times

Kspaa

So just today while i was on my PC, it randomly shut off. No warnings. Nothing.
I thought it overheated so i watched some TV and came back an hour later hoping it would start up fine, but instead my computer made it all the way to the desktop then shut off. After it shuts off it continues to try and start back up by itself but fails and shuts off.
Ive gone through and made sure all the wires are plugged in securely and it still hasnt fixed the problem. Everything seems to be getting power which leads me to believe that i might have a bad power supply.

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
Cpu: Intel E6300
Gpu: Radeon HD 4870
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 150gb
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) (1600MHz) DDR3
PSU: Sunbeam PSU-COM680-BK-US 680W ATX12V

Posted 3 years ago

Kspaa

Bump

Posted 3 years ago

XxDizzyxX

Once it shuts off again go into your bios. check your CPU core temp

Posted 3 years ago

Kspaa

It was at 50 degrees

Posted 3 years ago

XxDizzyxX

shouldn't be too bad. just make sure your fan in secured on the MB and that you haven't got any loose screws behind it.

only thing you could do is test your PSU by plugging it into a friends PC. If it works sounds like its your Motherboard. also unplug any PCI/PCI-E slots
and DVD/CD players.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Turn it on withyour side cover off and watch your fans. Are they all running?
The noise you heard "After it shuts off it continues to try and start back up by itself but fails and shuts off."
Please explain how / what is trying to start back up? Are you getting any information on your monitor screen when this happens?
If nothing is showing on your screen, sugggest you follow XxDizzyxX suggestion and start removing any PCI cards one at a time if you have any.
If it continues to run after you remove any cards then the cards might be your problem.
You might also unplug the power cable to your DVD drive & also your hdd.
Lastly you need to unplug your video card to verify that is not the problem if you haven't found the culprit by now.
When you plug everything back in make sure you get a good connection.

Posted 3 years ago

Kspaa

I have a clear side so i watched all the fans, and they all seem to run perfectly fine.

My entire computer tries to start backup, and after about 4 seconds it shuts off for a little, then retries. And yes, my computer is starting up completely normal. Ive got to my desktop once but then it shut off

Also, i read somewhere that it could be my mobo so i unplugged it and even though i had no response on my screen, my computer seemed to stay on. Im not completely sure if it was still shutting off randomly because i smelt a burning plastic scent and turned of my computer immediately.

Thanks for the help so far, i will try ungplugging gpu and stuff later

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

How did you unplug your mobo? Are you takling about your video card?

Posted 3 years ago

Kspaa

I might of actually unplugged the power to my cpu. If it was my mobo i dubt my computer would start:/
Could it also be possible that it is a RAM issue? I know ive had issues with my RAM in the past that i wasnt sure if it was actually my RAM or something else.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Normally if your ram is bad your computer will not boot up. You can try removing one stick at a time and see if it will boot. You need to check your manual to see what memory slot must have a Ram stick in it.
Did you find where the burning plastic smell is coming from?

Posted 3 years ago

Kspaa

So if i unlpug the plug that goes to the mobo, but powers the gpu and the CPU ( or just the CPU fan) my computer stays turned on. Not sure what this means.
And i tried unplugging the CD drive and HDD but that doesnt do anything.

Posted 3 years ago

gaitch32

OK. got into this late, but if you can get a Ubuntu (or your self booting your OS of choice) CD and just boot off of the CD to rule out the OS or hard drive, might help. Pull the hard drive power and leave the CD/DVD connected or configure the BIOS to use them first.

I don't know what you really have. Got the specs but not the OS......But the burning smell probably isn't good. Hopefully it's just one piece that didn't mess up any others.

We used to call that "Letting out the magic smoke" Cuz once you let that out, nothing works after that.........

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!