How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Computer Restarts self

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by celdar
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1567 times

celdar

Here are my specs for reference......

2 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6D-4GBMQ
1 x Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
* 1 x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650
* 1 x Seagate SV35.2 ST3500630SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
* 1 x LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05
* 1 x ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T OEM
* 1 x Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
* 1 x ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
* 1 x TRITTON AX360 Coaxial & Fiber Optic Circumaural True 5.1 Digital Audio Gaming Headset
* 1 x Logitech G51 155 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
* 1 x ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ1300 1300W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply
* 1 x Killer NIC M1 Gaming Network Card – 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Network Adapter -- Less Game Lag, Smoother Gameplay
* 1 x LINKSYS WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter
* 1 x XFX PVT96OSDFH GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB 192-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Windows XP home, I have vista 64 if you all want me to install it.

I play warhammer online, surf the net, listen to music and all that such on it. It tends to reset itself anywhere from 10minutes to 2 hours after I start working on it, and never when it's idle. Help me out here.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

celdar,

Nice setup.
Sounds like you are running on the thin edge of system stability since it's a random issue.
Don't know if the Intel Bios will let you do it, but I would (Over-Volt) the memory just a bit and also the CPU.
Would run the memory at (AUTO) timings.
If O/Cing, back off a bit.
EDIT: Insure Memory and (all) connections are socketed (Tight).
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Celdar, hi, welcome to the forum. You have posted in the build-your-own forum and clearly this system is one that you built. How long have you had it? Have the intermittent resets always happened or are they a recent problem? Are you doing any overclocking?

These problems are always the hardest to analyze. However, there are some culprits that are more likely than others: RAM, PSU, overheating, undervoltage. I wonder if you did any stress testing since the build. The popular tools that I know of are Prime95 for CPU stress and generating heat, MemTest86+ for testing the RAM. Of course, you need a temperature and voltage monitor, such as SpeedFan. Only if all these tests pass do we then suspect the power supply.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

celdar,

Doubt the system is over heating unless you are (Stalling) the case fans by not equalizing the case air flow throughput. If you use a large side case fan, that can defeat the the Zalman. To simply put what I'm saying, suffice it to say you (don't) want the case to have a positive pressure in it. An equalized case pressure and a lot of air CFM throughput is what is best. Also run all fans at Constant High RPM. Forget the noise. The old speed fan solution was due to folks complaining about fan noise. The way to measure all this is with a manometer and air flow sensors.
==============
The prime95 test is a good test but will Fail with only a small amount of O/Cing. When you run this, do not O/C and see what happens. Then O/C a little at time until test failure. Back-off to last good test setting.
==============
The ram standard is 1.5 Volts. If the Intel Board is clamping the ram to 1.5 Volts, then that is most probably where your problem lies. Most memory requires at least 1.8 volts to 2.1 Volts in practice. The memory heat sink spreaders should be able to easily dissipate the added heat produced with a little over-voltage.
==============
Also remember the voltages, temperatures and fan speeds shown in the Bios are not correct due to Off-Set Error.
==============
This is where your own instrumentation and judgment come into play. Running a Gaming Machine requires a knowledge of Physics in all areas. As a Builder, you are the only one whom can solve your issue using your own engineering skills and talents.

Good Luck.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Here is the timing and voltage specs for that G.Skill memory:
http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bb.....&no=94

Another good tool is CPUID which shows CPU speed, FSB, multiplier, RAM speed, and SPD from the DIMMs. Check the JEDEC data in the SPD for memory timings and voltages that might work better than the specified numbers.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

celdar,

Something for ALL to know and understand.
OEM Memory Fabs and Retailers (do not necessarily) go by JEDEC standards.
In the rush to compete, many will deviate to their own standard.
That is one reason why there is so much "HYPE" advertising concerning memory.
Look at this thread and follow the links.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=4
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!