How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Computer Repair Business

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by godsman1985
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 834 times

godsman1985
godsman1985

Hey everyone. A few of my friends and I are looking into starting a computer repair business in our town. Any recommendations on resources, software, etc...would be very appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

First question before we even get to resources . . . and I assume you've already looked into this . . . how many computer businesses are already in your town (how big is it BTW?) and are they turning a profit?

Second question . . . how many start up computer businesses in your town have gone belly up in the past five years?? Do you know why?

Third question . . . is there a market for your service considering the competition, or will you have to "steal" market share from your competitors (very difficult for a start up unless the customers of your competition are extremely dissatisfied)?

Fourth, do you know what the capital requirements and operating expenses will be? Do you and your friends have the money or can you borrow it without selling your firstborn?

Fifth . . . how much time can go by before you start to show a profit? Can you meet your living expenses during that time without any income?

OK . . . now, if you've answered all those questions to your satisfaction (and perhaps your friends' AND your lenders satisfaction), you can start looking for resources. software, etc. To do that before you answer these questions would be a waste of your time (and wasting your time is not a good business tactic to begin with).

Posted 5 years ago

godsman1985
godsman1985

We live in a pretty rural area. There are currently no computer businesses in our town, but the potiential is great. We are still in the researching and devolopment stages so all the expences have yet to be calculated but from the information we have so far should not present an issue. 2/3's of us have very low personal expences and the third has a stable financial foundation already in place. This is just another part of our research process for inclusion in expences/resources information.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

BobJam is right... for the most part you can get away with just having a screwdriver set and a laptop. The real question is how are you going to get business... fixing computers is the easy part =)

I would definitely recommend creating some thumb drives with lots of diagnostic tools on them, and use the System Rescue CD, and maybe create yourself an Ultimate Boot CD. Also don't underestimate the power of the Ubuntu Live CD.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.