The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Computer Randomly Shutting Off

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by duais
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 864 times

duais

I built a computer about a month ago, and everything was fine until one day it shut off randomly. It only happens once every few days, but I would like to find out what the problem is so I can return parts if necessary.
My specs are:
-Windows 7 home edition 64
-EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB
-Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W
-ASRock P55 Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
-CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-Logisys 650 Watt 24 Pin PS-LGS-650W-GR

I know it's not due to overheating, and I've tried reseating my RAM, I have it in 1 and 3, but when I put it in 2 and 4 it causes the computer to constantly try to start up, then shut off. Any help would be very appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I'm assuming you do not get a BSOD, so there are many things, besides heat, that can shut it off.

- Power overload
- CPU problem
- Electrical short
- Faulty PSU
- Bad RAM

Things I'd try first is use 1/2 the RAM, if it fails or if it doesn't fail, switch if out for the other stick. If only one stick drops the system, you have bad memory.

If the Video is overclocked, set it back to standard.

Reseat the CPU and heatsink.

Get a program (there are many) that reads CPU and drive temperatures.

Reseat ALL connections...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

clif1982

Just mentioning, I've had that happen to me a few times too. I'm using a dell laptop with 512 meg of ram.

(to Molly) I still can't find that 20 meg memory chip!

Posted 4 years ago

duais

Thanks very much, I will try these and see what happens.. You were right in assuming I don't get a BSOD it just powers off and restarts saying windows did not shut down properly.

Posted 4 years ago

duais

My computer loaded up fine with either stick of RAM working by itself. The computer did turn off at one point when I left only 1 stick in for a longer period and wouldn't turn back on, even when the other stick was reinserted. After a while I tried unplugging the video card and it booted up fine (I have an on board video output, but not the cable for it) and is now working fine with the video card powered up. My power supply is 650W, and my video card recommends 500W min, which seems like it should be enough, however the +12V on my PS is 22A, where the video card recommends a +12V with 36A. Could that be causing the problem? Also the led lights on some of my fans are now no longer lighting up and the video card comes factory overclocked and I'm not sure how to declock it.

I ran a game and 3dMark 06 to test temperatures using speedfan, which recorded that my GPU temperature was up to 75C after playing a couple games then running 3dMark. Using CoreTemp and MaxCPU I got my cores up to about 85C (it said max temp was 99C) where they stayed pretty steady. One thing I did note though is during 3dMark's CPU test I was only getting 1 or 2 FPS (which I'm not sure if that's what's supposed to happen, or if something wasn't configured correctly, or if that's a problem). Note I was using the free version of 3dMark 06.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Are you saying it is running fine now, no longer shuts off? If so, don't worry about the amperage. Possibly reseating the video card was enough to cure the problem?

However, you still might be under powered. First thing is the startup draw of wattage, usually higher than steady state, but most PSU's are also either underspec'ed (have more wattage than rated) or are able to handle up to 25% more on a spike. Some are not however. The video card might be also rated at worst case and never get near it, but overclocking can raise the amount needed. Also you need to consider the draw of the other components in the system, CPU, drives, and memory as well in total power requirements.

If this power drop continues I can only think of two ways to solve it. It doesn't appear to be memory or CPU related, so I'd suspect Video card or PSU underpowered. Replacing each would be alternatives. Using the on-board video with a cable that you buy (or converter from the video on-board output to display input cable) cheaply might be the cost effective way to rule out the video card, but not determine if you are low power or the card is defective. If the card is under warranty, maybe contacting the manufacturer for replacement might be the first thing to try?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

duais

No, it is not running fine now, I meant to say that it actually turned back on.. it ran for a few hours then shut off again. One concern I have is that the problem seems to be getting progressively worse. At first it happened once every few days, and now multiple times a day. Also once it shuts off it keeps doing so sooner and sooner after reboot for a while, but this problem usually fixes if I reseat something (whether it be RAM or video card or even just replugging in things). If it were underpowered, why would this problem only show up weeks after building the computer and why would it be getting worse? Also I think at one point water was spilled near the front of the computer.. I don't think any got in but it might have.. how would I check for water damage?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I can't determine what else is wrong? If it is getting worse, then I'd suspect heat damage or something deteriorating over time?

Water, unless it is still wet, hard to say what damage it could cause, corrosion?

You could be having aging on a part, in that is fails sooner, eventually it wouldn't work at all. Usually you'll see this in disk drives though?

I am at a loss other than replacing parts.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.