How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

computer quit

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 971 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my newest new build will not start up. i switched out a q6600 quad core cpu from my dell xps. the monitors wouldn't come on. i switched out the graphics card but that didn't make any difference. i just put everything back to original and now it turns on for about 15 seconds, shuts off for about 15 seconds, turns back on but only the fans run. i've rechecked all the plugs and wiring. reinstalled the cpu fan and reapplied the grease, pulled and reinstalled the memory.
everything worked fine until i tried to switch out cpu's.
mother board: asus p5q pro
cpu: intel core2 duo e8400

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i found it! i completely disassembled the computer and was going to reassemble just in case i knocked something loose or didn't put something back. i pulled out the mother board to removed the cpu fan. after i removed the fan and the cpu, i thought i was going to wipe off excess grease around the mother board and clamp area. but, it was a metal burr from the clamp and not grease. it had gouged into the circuitry of the motherboard. when i wiped it a good size piece of the board chipped out.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Awesome! Glad you got it working... I was trying to think of a good response but you already got it. =)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i found out there was absolutely no information online i could find. so i started tearing it down, lol. that would also explain why my monitors shut down twice but came back on. or i hope thats what it was. i didn't get it working though, i'm doing a return at newegg. this will give me a chance to mess around with my linux build computer now. i'll wipe the dust off it now :P

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

after reading through asus forums, the p5q pro has a history of what i described.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I had an interesting thing happen the other day... my computer kept hanging right after I plugged in another USB device, and then it wouldn't even boot up. I even got a blue screen of death with "INTERNAL POWER ERROR"... Turns out my power supply couldn't handle the 9 devices I had plugged in (a good reason to get a better power supply than the one that comes in a case).

I unplugged everything and instead plugged them into a powered USB hub, and everything went back to working perfectly.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

that was the first thing i thought of was my power supply. i have a wireless card, soundblaster card, tv tuner, graphics card, 2 hard drives, dual dvd burners, firewire, etc. almost everything on the mother board is filled. not to mention the antec1200 case has 5 fans plus my cpu fan and 4 gigs of ram. i stripped it down to the bare essentials trying to figure out why it wasn't working. now i'm loading up the xps, i don't know why i'm trying to build one like it, this thing is a power house. EXCEPT, dell makes it so you can't do a thing to their computers. no bios tweaks, no switching things out.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!