The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Compter screen barely visible

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by piamia
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1761 times

piamia

My sister has a Dell laptop with Vista OS. The screen suddenly went almost totally black yesterday for a while. Moved it and rebooted to see what would happen. It booted up fine and worked most of the day. Then it went dark again. Have tried booting it, moving & cursing it to no avail. It does seem to be working okay, just can't see it. Does she have a big problem? Any ideas of what can be wrong and/or how to repair it?

Thanks for any input.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi piamia ,

Welcome to HTG ,

Are you running it on Battery or Mains ?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

What model is it, and how old ?

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

Have tried both, same results. Even tried different wall plugs.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Go to Control Panel --- Power Options --- Adjust the Display Brightness --- Change Advanced Power Settings.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

My above questions, plus have you tried plugging in an external monitor ?

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 bought August 2008

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

Don't have an external monitor to plug into but my other sister has one we can try. I have already adjusted the brightness - set everything to Dell recommended.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

It could very well be a loose cable caused in opening and closing. However checking that on a laptop is not for the feint of heart.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I think it may have an overheating screen inverter. But try the external monitor first.

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

Okay, thanks - we'll try that first.

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

Hooked it up to the monitor and it's working fine. So does that mean she needs a new screen inverter?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Very much sounds like it. They are not expensive (which country do you live in ?)

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

Yep, found one on EBay, dirt cheap. She will order it and replace it. We found a site that explains (with pictures) exactly how to change it out. Hope it is as easy as it looks. We are in the US.

Thanks for all your help. We couldn't have found out the problem without this site. Put it in my Favorites... :-)

Posted 2 years ago

piamia

Update on this. We got the screen inverter, replaced it using directions via a website and all is working again. Thanks to everyone for all the good information, we appreciate it very much.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

That's good to hear :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.