How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Comprehensive List of Free Anti-Virus Programs for 2013

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 489 times

Straspey
Straspey

Over on the well known Raymond.cc blog, Raymond has posted an extremely comprehensive, detailed and useful list of 26 different anti virus programs - all available for free. Some of these are well known, others less so - and still a few you may have never even heard of.

In each case, Raymond actually installed, setup, and ran each program - going all the way through the installation and downloading of the latest definition updates. He mentions when certain programs attempt to change the user's system during installation - such as add toolbars, change the home page, and even the DNS settings, as in the case of Comodo.

"Billions of dollars are spent every year on antivirus software alone by enterprise because they know that computer virus can cause a lot of down time and making the company lose money...

As for home users, most antivirus companies also offers a cheaper version that works on Windows operating system and requires an annual subscription. However, there is also a wealth of anti-virus software offered for free with the catch of disabling some of the extra defense system such as firewall, behavior blocking and also only allowing you to use it for personal home use only. After extensive research, we have come up with an up-to-date comprehensive list of free anti-virus programs for your convenience."

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/com.....nti-virus/

I think many people here will find this article to be very useful - and possibly a bit controversial, in that - when it comes to anti virus programs - it seems that opinions seem to differ greatly.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Fortunately, I will still be using MSE!

I've tested most of the above in the past and will stick with what works on many machines. And I won't be doing 或從中國

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

Mike -

I too use MSE and - along with MBAM and SAS - feel I am very well protected. And this comes after having tried a few others on that list, such as Norton, Comodo, Zone Alarm, etc.

As I said, opinions differ greatly when it comes to which anti-virus works best. I thought Raymond's article was helpful because he took the time to actually download, install, setup, and and run updates for all 26 different programs.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Howard, thanks for the info.

Raymond may have done so but so have we on HTG.

But you did state I too use MSE and - along with MBAM and SAS - feel I am very well protected. And this comes after having tried a few others on that list, such as Norton, Comodo, Zone Alarm, etc.

MSE together with SAS and MBAM should be enough to give you the best protection. It protects all my systems.

I do use Comodo firewall because I like the alerts when installing some software.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Comodo Internet Security, SAS and MBAM keeps me safe and nasty free.
Mind you it's also down to user knowledge and just been careful about what you do on the Internet!! A lot of people I know use BitTorrent's for downloading stuff and most are constantly getting nasties on their PC's, no matter how much I tell them they never seem to listen.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ Mike -

My apologies for not being aware (and assuming) that you all here at HTG have conducted similar tests. I have seen MSE, MBAM and SAS recommended here on more than one occasion and - as you mentioned - they provide a triple-layer of protection, which has worked quite well for me for some time now.

As far as receiving alerts when installing software, I use the pro version of WinPatrol, which also provides alerts for the installation of new .dll files and start-up additions regarding new installations.

@ gedstar

Regarding your point about downloading torrents, etc -- I couldn't agree more.

No matter which anti-virus program a person may choose, or how many anti-malware and anti-spyware programs they have installed on their system -- in the end, there is no virus protection against "stupidity".

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Well said Howard!!! :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!